Ecoboost Owner Forums

Stock replacement drop in K&N filter

I just bought one and installed it last night. I noticed that I can hear the engine inside the car now. Are the stock intakes restrictive? Should I expect any gains from this. On my 09 Silverado it was proven that an airbox resists heat soak more than an open element with a shield, I had a Airaid on it but I ended up switching back to the airbox with the airaid MIT after some testing with HP Tuners on my own. I was just wondering if this applied to the SHO as well.

I've seen the discussions go either way the K&N filters do/don't help performance. I think it varies from vehicle to vehicle. I did see on a local forum years ago, a shop tested this theory one a CTS-V (non-SC model from a few years back). They did back to back runs with a K&N drop in filter, and with the filter, it picked up 9whp.

I can't say anything about running different intakes with the SHO, but i have run K&N filters on several cars. The K&N filter does flow more than stock, and is nice that it is reusable, but doesn't clean as much as the stock or standard paper filter. I have since switched back to using oem style paper filter because it is keeps the engine cleaner.

I have been using the K&N drop ins for almost 2 decades and never had an issue. I do clean them more than recommended and never over-oil. An intake should certainly do more for you than a drop in. I just did not want to go that route yet. I have my LMS 4+ tune and the car does everything I want it to do....for now.....lol

Airaid's filter use an oiled cotton gauze matterial just like K&N so they should clean about the same depending on the CFM rate. Now even though they may not clean the air as well as paper filters it isn't like your sucking up dirt like a vacuum directly to your intake, that will destroy your engine in less than 100K miles. K&N efficiency is rated at 96-99% in their testing, while motorcraft filters rating is 98.5. With most things you will have give and take. paper filters give you a little bit cleaner air but while restricting air flow alittle(not as big a deal with F/I) K&N gives you more air flow at the close of it not cleaning as well.

I've used K&N Filters on NA cars and several FI cars with very little performance improvement beyond sound. In my last car which was a MS3 i did switch to a cone type K&N filter with a SRI and didn't notice any performance gains until i put in a catback exhuast. After that i had much improved throttle response.

In the end i would say you would benefit more from a cone type intake(airaid) over just a drop in filter.

Archived