Ecoboost Owner Forums

Goodyear Alternatives???

My wife noticed the TPMS was showing, and the right rear tire was looking low, so she stopped by discount tire. I headed up there, and found out the tire has two good slashes on the inside side wall, god knows what did that. After looking at the tire, I knew it was inevitable I'm going to have to by 1, maybe two tires. The car only has 16K miles on it, I cant remember what the tread depth was at, but its border line that I "should" replace both rears. The kicker of this is, they didn't have a single tire in-stock :RpS_mad: So I had them air it up and by the grace of god, I made it home. The silver-lining is, my buddy has a hook up on mounting and balancing, so if I buy tires online, he will mount and balance for 20 bucks cash

This leads me to my main question, what is everyone replacing there Goodyear Eagle F1's with??? I don't track the car, just some "spirited" driving, and wife uses it when she travels to meetings. In a few weeks it will be hauling previous cargo home from the hospital. Wife is expecting in 3 weeks :becky: We both have other cars we DD. I've been looking at the selection they have on Discount tire direct, due to them having free shipping. Tire rack is out of the question because living in GA I have to pay tax, and shipping on top of that, which puts them at retails prices.

Here's some of the opinions I have on the table so far...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&yr=2011&pc=27077&counter=1&ar=45&rd=20&vid=019289&sw=false&cs=245

Don't have any experience with cooper tires... Price seems very good for a high performance summer tire

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&yr=2011&pc=11389&counter=2&ar=45&rd=20&vid=019289&sw=false&cs=245

I've used these on a civic I had years past, and they were a good bang for buck.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&yr=2011&pc=41390&counter=3&ar=45&rd=20&vid=019289&sw=false&cs=245

I ran this on my 5.0 mustang previous to the SHO. great grip, but I'm worried about ride comfort with the SHO

1st, congrats on the bun in the oven and it's expected delivery into the world!

How cool is that?

I tease my three constantly and remind them each how I remember like it was just yesterday when they used to cuddle with me on the couch and blah blah blah.....

They each roll their eyes as if I'm off my rocker.

But anyhow, as far as your tire dilemma goes.......

The problem is compounded by the AWD design of our cars.

Replacing just one, or even two tires alone is not only NOT recommended, but choosing to do so can also be detrimental to the AWD systems themselves.

Not only that, but if you do end up deciding to replace just two, now you're throwing into the mix of having two Goodyear's mixed in with two replacement tires of/from an entirely different manufacturer and tread design.

Also a HUGE no no.

I don't see anything wrong with any of the brand of tires you are considering, especially if you're not intending on tracking your SHO.

That being stated, I can only reitierate that you should ideally be choosing a total tire replacement at each corner, and if you're not willing to do that (for w/e reasons) you should really elect to simply replace with the same Goodyear F1's as equipped from the factory, until such time permits when a total replacement can occur.

Please allow others to chime in with their opinions before making an ultimate decision, one way, or another, and good luck with w/e it is you do decide to do.

Mike :yo:

I agree 100 %. Replace all 4 if you can, and if you can't, then at least get the same tires. ideally, all tires are the same brand and have the same amount of miles/wear/tread. If you can't do that, then at least all 4 tires should be the same brand, but with different wear. Especially with 1 in the oven, this is not a place to skimp financially. :)

We are super excited about having our first, the last couple weeks seem like they are taking forever.

I never thought about the AWD system being an issue, but makes total sense. I'm trying to get out of this dilemma as cheap as possible, baby stuff is expensive lol

The last thing I want do is save a penny, and damage the drive train in the process. Would it be frowned upon to buy two new OEM Goodyears and replace both rears?

I agree 100 %. Replace all 4 if you can' date=' and if you can't, then at least get the same tires. ideally, all tires are the same brand and have the same amount of miles/wear/tread. If you can't do that, then at least all 4 tires should be the same brand, but with different wear. Especially with 1 in the oven, this is not a place to skimp financially. :)[/quote']

Totally agree, about not skimping

would you recommend the two new tires on the front or the rear?

our AWD system sends majority of the power to the front tires, if I remember correctly. I guess putting the new tires are the rear would be better for the power train?

Personally' date=' I will put them on the rear in the winter and put them on the front in the summer, assuming you rotate twice a year.[/quote']

Living in ATL we don't really have a winter. Just cold. Rarely snows.

ha airport how's the baby and wife? Got to go back to work.

Wife is ready to pop. These last few weeks are rough on her. Won't be long now

Living in ATL we don't really have a winter. Just cold. Rarely snows.

Wife is ready to pop. These last few weeks are rough on her. Won't be long now

Ha Airport Me 98Silver(TCCS) mist you at TurnerFeild SCCA Autocross,we had a good time. I'm going down to SILVERDOLLAR RACE TRACK tomorrow was going as you to come but with mom ready to BABY I know you can't come. BUT on to the tires,that one week of snow in Jan 2011 I ran my summer tire and got my med darughter to the hosiptal doing the snow for the 2nd grand baby. Now with 37kmi I went to the FALKENS PT-722 ALL-SECSON 40KMI warrenty for DD. Will go with the Handkook v12 Evo K-110 and so lite wt. KONIG wheels for track days next yr. but I love my FALKEN's,they ride smooth,quit,and I ran my 13.04sec 1/4mi with them. Got them at discount tire had my local tire put them on.

Mickey Thompson released a new UHP tire in August called Street Comp. They won a SEMA New Product award for this tire last week in Vegas. The tire is priced as a tier 2 tire but is rated as a tier 1 and is a natural for the SHO. This is not a drag tire but a UHP street tire. It comes in a 245/45/20. I put a set on my 13 BOSS 302 and love them. When my mags go back on the SHO in the spring they will have the Street Comps on them and my Son is putting them on his new Focus ST as well. Worth looking into these as an upgrade in tire at a reduced cost. Win win!!