Ecoboost Owner Forums

Does change in octane require "break in"?

Wasnt even sure how to title this...

When I bought my 2010 first week of October they filled it with regular unleaded. After going through that tank I switched to 93 octane. That was on a Friday (10/26). Tuesday (10/30) taking the kid to school the car slammed into gear like we had been rearended. It happened when creeping forward to turn left at a light and then finally taking off when it was clear. The next day it happened again (leaving a stop sign) but not bad at all. The following day (11/1) I called the dealer to take it in (appt was 11/5) figuring it needed the transmission TSB. Funny thing is that from that Weds through even today it has been perfect. (dealer found nothing, of course. It made me wonder if the change in octane required a relearn of the shift points. Or......was that just coincidental and eventually it is going to need the transmission looked at. Plenty of warranty left so I am not overly concerned if it DOES need to go in later, but I was wondering if there was a correlation.

There's a TSB that addresses the transmission issue. Search and you shall find.

Right. I mentioned that.

The following day (11/1) I called the dealer to take it in (appt was 11/5) figuring it needed the transmission TSB.

The whole point was that the only time it happened was the two days following changing fuel grades.

TSB for sure in my opinion. I have always run 93 and have at times (very random) had isolated tranny issues exactly as you describe. Pulling the lever into M will effect a quick cure for the event...till the next time. I think it's programming and my guess is the pull into M acts like a reboot. TSB helped but not 100%. Been quite a while since last occurrence ...knock on wood!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your dealer is going to require that you duplicate the problem for him, you will have a lot of frustration since it is a very occasional problem. My dealer listened to my description and since I was spot on describing symptoms listed in a known TSB, they did the repair. Seems reasonable and a lot more customer friendly.

My dealer was a moron to be honest. I made the mistake of using the example of waiting to turn at a light and his first question was "so it happens when you turn?". My point was that it happens when you are creeping up and then take off. Tried to explain it every way possible. I mentioned the TSB and he ignored it. If it starts up again I'll take it to another dealer. Thankfully I have two of them 2 miles apart. Even still, in a month it has happened twice so just waiting and seeing.

My third dealer was the one. The first two were PITA's. I have to drive about 10 miles though but well worth IMO. I found slow driving, or start and stop were the worst for bringing symptoms on. A fresh flash can up the frequency and the TSB fix helped a lot to reduce it. Not gone but in the background. Try pulling the lever into M the next time it acts up and see what happens. You don't have to leave it there for long.

My third dealer was the one. The first two were PITA's. I have to drive about 10 miles though but well worth IMO. I found slow driving, or start and stop were the worst for bringing symptoms on. A fresh flash can up the frequency and the TSB fix helped a lot to reduce it. Not gone but in the background. Try pulling the lever into M the next time it acts up and see what happens. You don't have to leave it there for long.

I have seen your comments about it still happening after the TSB before and it brings up an interesting question. I bought this car 2 yrs old with 22k miles on it. It is entirely possible the TSB has already been done. No real way to know unless I have a dealer willing to take the time with it. Could also be the reason the person traded it in. Hard to know for sure.

I think I would insist that the dealer perform the TSB...be sure to have the number and of the TSB in hand (and a copy) when you make the appointment. If they won't do the TSB, I would contact Ford and explain the problem, you shouldn't have to fight to get it done. But I agree the use of premium 93 octane shouldn't have anything to do with it. However, if you've been using the higher octane, have you noticed a slight improvement in performance? Lastly, if the dealer puts in your VIN it they can tell because there will be a record of the TSB being performed. I know my dealer can tell me everything that has been performed by Ford by pulling it up on their computer. I believe they must transmit the information to Ford in order to get compensated for performing warranty/TSB work.

There are a few threads with very extensive comments and observations on this tranny behavior. Many of us have experienced this. Lots of theory and guesses. Search for words "hesitation and maybe clunking". I'm sure I'm not remembering all but it would make great reading for you.

I'm sure any TSBs Ford has done will be recorded to your serial number. Dealers prob can check that without any problem. Do some reading and good luck.

Thanks guys!!! This was excellent information. I am in wait and see mode for now (cant take any time off from work to take it back in until after the new year). The dealer did tell me that I have like 2 more years and change left on the transmission (powertrain)so it isnt like it has to get in today.

I have read everything I could find on the site about the tranny (on this board) and it seems all over the place. For now we'll see how it goes.

Oh and I DO see a difference using the 93 octane. It seems smoother through the powerband and just has an overall greater "jump in its step"