Ecoboost Owner Forums

Ford ESP warranty issues

I suppose I was expecting a little more of a coverage when it comes to the ESP I bought less than a month ago. As of late, the brakes have began to squeal like crazy (there is a TSB currenly on it), my rear tail lights are peeling once again and now my hydraulic trunk supports won't hold that heavy a$$ trunk lid up. Looks like I should cancel the ESP as most of the stuff they cover my normal 5 year/60,000 powertrain already covers. Anyone else had any issues like this when attempting an ESP claim?

I bought the ESP plan when I bought my car in September. Not having time to "read the fine print" at the time of the sale, I just went off the bullet points. Later that week, i got to reading the conrtract line by line and decided the ESP warrenty was not for me. I had a 60 day window to cancell at no penalty. Which is what i did. they refunded me all my money no questions asked.

Up here in Canada ESP's and similar NEVER cover things like brake pads and trunk struts or body/ molding issues like your tail lights. I bet it doesn't even cover you guage cluster or you navi/ stereo system as most don't. Also up here the average repair bill is floating around $1200/ claim.

It will cover things like all of those 300+ sensors we have, ECM, ABS control units etc. Seals, gaskets, electrical systems you know, the stuff we expect to work. In the end cars have approximatly 16000 parts of which warranies cover about 13-12000. So assuming your car to be 98% perfect that is still 250 parts that will fail. ;)

Toss in factors like how you drive, how many others drive your car, enviroment, that your 2010 is the first production year etc the chance of something failing increases. :(

Now JD power gives Ford a PP (Problems Per vehicle) rating of 124 for 2012. That means for every 100 cars 124 problems were reported/ found. Before you start thinking Ford is not so awesome the best was Lexus with a rating of PP86. Aside from Cadillac (PP104) and Lincoln (PP116) Ford is the highest ranked domestic for 2012. Industry average is PP132. Honda, where I work is at PP131. Bottom rung is Chrysler (PP192!)

By the way the 2012 Taurus ranked 3rd in its class out done by Buick Lecerne (1st) and Toyota Avalon (2nd).

Lots of factors are considered when manufacturers decide on thier warranty levels and coverages. Not just cost of failures but length of ownership, part availability, vehicle cycle life, purchaser demographic etc. Average Hyundai owner keeps thier car for under 4years. So it is easy to bump a warranty to keep a happy customer who will prob buy again if they had no problems. Toyota owners keep thier cars for average 8. Gets costly to offer a long term warranty so Toyota offers extended ones but since they are quite reliable (PP104) they sell them cheap to ofset predicted costs. All manufacures do the similar.

So while you have had some issues and feel you are not getting your moneys worth you may want to reconsider. ;) Everything breaks at some point. It's just a matter of luck and time. ;)

Up here in Canada ESP's and similar NEVER cover things like brake pads and trunk struts or body/ molding issues like your tail lights. I bet it doesn't even cover you guage cluster or you navi/ stereo system as most don't. Also up here the average repair bill is floating around $1200/ claim.

It will cover things like all of those 300+ sensors we have, ECM, ABS control units etc. Seals, gaskets, electrical systems you know, the stuff we expect to work. In the end cars have approximatly 16000 parts of which warranies cover about 13-12000. So assuming your car to be 98% perfect that is still 250 parts that will fail. ;)

Toss in factors like how you drive, how many others drive your car, enviroment, that your 2010 is the first production year etc the chance of something failing increases. :(

Now JD power gives Ford a PP (Problems Per vehicle) rating of 124 for 2012. That means for every 100 cars 124 problems were reported/ found. Before you start thinking Ford is not so awesome the best was Lexus with a rating of PP86. Aside from Cadillac (PP104) and Lincoln (PP116) Ford is the highest ranked domestic for 2012. Industry average is PP132. Honda, where I work is at PP131. Bottom rung is Chrysler (PP192!)

By the way the 2012 Taurus ranked 3rd in its class out done by Buick Lecerne (1st) and Toyota Avalon (2nd).

Lots of factors are considered when manufacturers decide on thier warranty levels and coverages. Not just cost of failures but length of ownership, part availability, vehicle cycle life, purchaser demographic etc. Average Hyundai owner keeps thier car for under 4years. So it is easy to bump a warranty to keep a happy customer who will prob buy again if they had no problems. Toyota owners keep thier cars for average 8. Gets costly to offer a long term warranty so Toyota offers extended ones but since they are quite reliable (PP104) they sell them cheap to ofset predicted costs. All manufacures do the similar.

So while you have had some issues and feel you are not getting your moneys worth you may want to reconsider. ;) Everything breaks at some point. It's just a matter of luck and time. ;)

I totally understand what you're talking about and can understand from a companies viewpoint. My Navi/radio better be covered because that's what they bragged about. "Well, it that goes out, the warranty just paid for itself" say the ESP guy on the phone. Quality is job 1 used to be Ford's motto. Not in this day and time. If I spent $15,000 for a new Focus, I could see it. But damn! At $45K, I expect better quality in my ride.

And then the whole assurance that the lights are from a new batch from a new vendor and the peeling won't happen again or the brakes are fine and then need to be broke in still. More owners are experiencing the same issues again and there's a TSB on the brakes. At 31K on my odometer, it's sad to see these things occurr. Least my '90 SHO had over 100K before the bumper molding tab broke on one side.

Just took a quick glance and only the PremiumCARE level ESP plan covers the DVD/ Sync stuff. Hope thats what you have.

I understand you frustration. When I got my SpecB I noticed the rubber seal/ gasket around the sunroof wasn't a good fit. It would constantly need to be pushed back in place. Was told it was a 'weather' issue as it expanded and contracted as my car heated up/ cooled down. I escalated it to no avail. Then my oil return line started to leak. Had to fight the first time to get it fixed as they wanted to void the claim because I had a CAI installed. Got it sorted only to have it happen again but this time there was a TSB/ recall (basically a recall they don't tell you about till its a problem) on it. Fixed no issue.

Since then I have modified my car way too much for any sort of warranty coverage. ;)

All we can do as customers is log the complaint so hopfully as similar incidents arise something gets done. Aside from that.... not to frick'in much we can do.

Hopefully the problems you are having now have good solutions that can be implemented so you can get back to enjoying your car. :car: