Ecoboost Owner Forums

Shifting

74d34h

I just read in another thread about clearing the Keep alive memory (KAM) by removing the tune and re-applying. This is interesting because yesterday I decided to go to manual shift and hammer the throttle. My car for the past 2 months was back to shifting automatically to 2nd and 3rd even in manual mode. I haven't really pushed the car much lately. Yesterday I relied on that but it didn't shift, bounced off the limiter pretty harsh. It took a few seconds to wind down and allow me to shift to 2nd. This was the first time I was concerned about damaging the car.

This is pretty frustrating and I can relate with how many of you say you leave the car in S and don't bother with the paddles. I was hitting some twisties and hills pretty hard so I needed the downshift but that 1st-2nd left me pissed at this shitty manual mode setup. Should I just reset this KAM every so often?? Comments? This is on a '13 non-pp, AirRaid and LMS 93 tune.

While this undoubtedly felt awkward, I can't see how you'd be damaging anything as the rev limiter would keep your rpms out of the tnt zone.

Personally, I think paddles are for boats. I've had a little fun playing with mine, but I would have paid a $5,000 premium for a 3rd pedal. I drove my wife's station wagon yesterday... it's a BMW 535xi with 6 gears and 3 pedals... and was reminded just how sweet a real manual transmission is.

I have a '13, PP, K&N CAI and LMS 91 tune. Samething happenned to me multiple times. When launching in manual mode, I need to really short shift the 1st. Else, it will shift again in 3rd automatically or it will bounce the rev limiter and cut fuel like you experienced. I don't know why it can't shift the 2nd automatically while in S-manual mode :noidea:

I would have bought a manual if it was available. Even the Audi A4 we have in manual mode works as intended although the car has a 120mph governor on it! We are trading it in soon for a newer car so we did not want to waste $ on a tune. But the SHO is disappointing I would have preferred the old 1/2/D/OD over this setup.

Like BigPelo I have to short shift 1st or it jumps 2-3rd. These paddles are just a tease.

I know on the '10-12' SHO's the car will not shift for you if your in "S" and will slam you against the rev limiter. This shouldn't hurt the engine but it does induce a bit of shock to the drivetrain, i wouldn't feel comfortable with. I can't say how this affects a '13 with a tune, i know stock a '13 will shift for to keep you from hitting the rev limiter.

When it comes to driving the SHO(or any other car) fast in anything else besides a straight line, you need to be able to shift manually. No automatic be it traditional or dual clutch read your mind, and be in the correct gear when cornering. With that said the 6f55 works pretty well when shifted manually. It is just about as fast as a manual, especially when downshifting before a corner while breaking. Personally unless i'm in traffic i keep the car in "S" and shift it manually. When pushing the car, atleast with a Stock '13 PP, i shift at 5000-5500 rpm so it doesn't shift for me. The TQ starts to seriously dropoff by then anyway. Do it that way i keep the car in its powerband. It was the same way in my MazdaSpeed3 the car redlined at 6500 rpm but didn't make much power after 5500 rpm, so thats the point in which you would shift.

Alright guys' date=' any SHO with the performance package installed will bounce off the tach, its one of the benefits of the PP. .[/quote']

Sorry, not true. My 2013 (has PP) will shift for me in D and S when I jusu hammer it full throttle. It sucks because when I try and shift myself on the upshift at norma / correct times, I end up shifting just when the computer wants to, and go from 1st straight to 3rd gear.

It's been 3 months now, and I have just learned myself to only worry about controlling down shifts when I am really going for it.

I only do the upshifts when tooling around town and when i want to short shift it.