Ecoboost Owner Forums

Front Turbo leaking again!

BS from the Ford Tech

They replaced the oil return line seal last time.

The Ford Tech came to the dealer and had them tighten the clamp that holds the exhaust scroll to the bearing housing. The one that looks like a cheap two piece hose clamp.

I have asked to talk to this Ford Tech to get his thought on why this will stop the oil leak or just push it down the exhaust system.

post-604-142532289193_thumb.jpg

post-604-142532289193_thumb.jpg

Only reasoning I can come up with is maybe oil is seeping out of the housing, as seals on shaft do leak oil. I know its been discussed here before about oil in intake track, and the info I found out it was normal. And I believe it to be true based on learning the type of seal used in turbo's which pretty my a tiny piston ring, and like piston rings seal best while under pressure.

I'd just keep a eye on and be hopeful.

Here are 2 of the Ford special sevice messages.

21930 3.5L GTDI ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 1/11/2010 - TURBO OIL DRAIN TUBE GASKET NO LONGER AVAILABLE - REVISED TURBO OIL TUBE AVAILABLE

FOR 2010 TAURUS, FLEX, MKS, AND MKT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 3.5L ECOBOOST ENGINE, WITH ENGINE BUILD DATE BEFORE 1/11/2010, THE GASKET BETWEEN THE TURBO CHARGER AND TURBO CHARGER OIL RETURN TUBE FLANGE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE REQUIRING THE PURCHASE OF A TUBE ASSEMBLY (BASE 9T515.) TO DETERMINE THE VEHICLES ENGINE BUILD DATE, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 303-01B. NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THE UPDATED AVAILABLE GASKET ON AN OLDER TUBE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 20-JUNE-2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21759 2010-2011 TAURUS SHO, MKS, FLEX, AND MKT 3.5L ECOBOOST TURBO CHARGER OIL FEED AND RETURN LINE OIL LEAKS.

SOME 2010-2011 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L GTDI (ECOBOOST) ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE TURBOCHARGER OIL FEED LINE AT THE BANJO BOLT CONNECTION OR THE SEAL ON THE OIL RETURN LINES. THESE LEAKS MAY APPEAR TO BE COMING FROM THE TURBOCHARGER ITSELF. CLOSELY INSPECT THE BANJO BOLT SEALS ON THE FEED LINE AND SEALS ON THE RETURN LINE FOR LEAKS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. CLEAN ALL ACCUMULATED RESIDUAL OIL FROM THE TURBOCHARGER V-CLAMP. DO NOT LOOSEN OR REMOVE THE V-CLAMP FOR CLEANING. TURBOCHARGER REPLACEMENT WILL NOT RESOLVE THIS SYMPTOM.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 01-MARCH-2011

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the front side of the valve cover, contains the following:

Item Description

1 Engine part number

2 Engine plant (Lima)

3 Engine displacement

4 Engine configuration

5 Duratech 3.5L

6 Bar code

7 Bar code

8 Running number

9 Engine build date (DDMMYY)

10 Plant shift line

11 Derivative code

The lead mechanic has asked me to take it to another dealer to have them look at it. I think he's scared of making a wrong call and having Ford deny payment of new turbos. I just want it fixed. They don't seem to be sure were the oil is coming from. They put dye in the oil last time but now don't want to look to see what it says. I guess I'll take it to Metro Ford in Independence MO.

When my turbo leaked it was leaking internally which required a turbo replacement. Have you looked inside yoru intake tube as it goes into the throttle body to see if there is excessive oil in there? Look to see if it is puddling. If it is you may have an internal leaker, if it's just a film of oil then it's probably not an internal leak.

• 1 month later...

I must admit, maybe just in my head, but the car does seem to be more responsive than before. Maybe I'm just driving harder. I hope for even faster driving once I get the brakes fix. Confident stopping makes for faster driving.

The dealer who took care of me was Metro Ford in Independence MO, my friend at work had gotten two new turbo's from them too for the same problem, the dealer who put me off was Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park KS.

I think dealer's who put you off should be "called out" and directly reported to Ford. Not sure if this still holds true but dealers who perform a lot of warranty work don't get many brownie points for doing so. That's free work, and free work doesn't make money for a company.

I got one in my neck of the woods in Northern California who I've read the Yelp reviews on but I have yet to have warranty work done their.

I've done this in the past and they were really pissed when I went to pick up the vehicle. "So I see you went ahead and called Ford about us"?! Lol, yep I wish I didn't have to make that call but you forced me into it.

My vehicle was fixed and I never went back but I left my mark for the rest of the customers in the future.