Ecoboost Owner Forums

2nd USB connection

I have the parts (pics to come in a bit) to add another USB connection. These are factory parts. Thru my research I believe that the SYNC module is under the console. Right now I am leaning towards installing this into the console bin, Instead of the original idea, Theglove box bin. I may install in the glovebox if I can acquire the correct extension cable.

So what are your collective thoughts. Should I lean for the console or go for the glove box? Why? I will not be rushing this in anyway, I have to make a positive ID on the module location first. And make certain of the placement. Maybe the glove box would be better due to the size of the console bin? Im still confused! HELP!:doh:

(here are the parts)

IMAG0381.jpg

Good question, But would SYNC recognize the expander. Then again, The expander would just pull the voltage and split it Im sure. Either way, I will not be limited to just one connection if this all goes well. And both would be full USB connections. Im keeping my fingers crossed for getting this done this upcoming weekend.

I'm interested in this also. I am interested in this because the one in the center console is a terrible location, and while I am driving it and my wife is using it, I have to move my elbow off the console while she is fooling with it. Annoying. Shoulda been somewhere else in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update, I have to gather the needed parts for the glove box install. I have been very busy so time to do this has been minimal. I want to take pictures while doing this for a proper write up. Also finding the right extension without multiple adapters has been tuff. But I think I have that sorted out.

A little update' date=' I have to gather the needed parts for the glove box install. I have been very busy so time to do this has been minimal. I want to take pictures while doing this for a proper write up. Also finding the right extension without multiple adapters has been tuff. But I think I have that sorted out.[/quote']

Your efforts are appreciated!

As soon as I get time.. It will be my first ever official "how to" write up so I really want to do it right and make sure its helpful for all. I will be looking to order the best extension this week if all goes well. I need the right extension to use with the factory wiring/mounting plate. No adpaters.

I'm interested in this also. I am interested in this because the one in the center console is a terrible location' date=' and while I am driving it and my wife is using it, I have to move my elbow off the console while she is fooling with it. Annoying. Shoulda been somewhere else in the first place![/quote']

I absolutely agree. The USB port locations are in a very bad spot. They should be somewhere near the rear sunshade controls.

Archived