Ecoboost Owner Forums

Warranty & TSBs for SHO bought used

I'm researching & preparing to make my next car purchase, and have a few questions. I'd like a 2010-11 SHO with the Performance Package. I'm curious how TSB issues are handled with used cars. As I understand it, the car must be within the 3/36 warranty for a dealer to do TSB work for free. I know I can shop for cars that have under 36k miles on them, but what to do about the time factor? I'm not sure exactly what time the dealers use; build date, original purchase date, or what. That could eliminate shopping for 2010 models all together.

I was planning to have whatever dealer I shop with, provide an Oasis report on the car, so I can know what fixes have already been done. Is this a smart move? I don't want to create a bad climate for the dealer, I just want to have peace of mind, before entering in a four year payment contract.

Lastly, how do the Ford extended warranties work? I know Audi lets you buy one so long as the vehicle is currently covered by the "new car" warranty, and the ESP coverages vary depending on what you purchase. I can read up more on this, but wanted insight from those "in the know" here.

I can't address all of your questions but I will chime in on a couple of things.

The warranty begins with the sales date - not date of manufacture or build date. You could have a 2010 that was built in August of 2009 and not sold until April, 2010. The 36 months would expire in April, 2013. Keep in mind the powertrain warranty is longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty. When looking at used SHOs, the dealer can tell you exactly when the warranty expires from a "time" standpoint. It is a great idea to have the selling dealer pull the Oasis report to see what has been done. They were happy to do it for the last used car that I purchased.

There is a lot of variation between dealers regarding how they handle TSBs. Many will want to verify a problem prior to performing a TSB while others seem to be happy to perform the work based on a customer's request. When making a purchase, you have some leverage. For example, if you know that brake grinding/grunting is a common problem, and the car you are looking at has not had the TSB done, you might be able to get the selling dealer to perform the TSB even if the car in question does not exhibit the problem. No guarantees but it wouldn't hurt to negotiate that.

If it were me, I think I would be be more interested in the overall condition of the vehicle than anything else. Some of us are extremely fussy and have 3 year old cars in perfect shape with no dings or obvious wear. Others tend to "use" their cars up pretty quickly.

brucelinc,

Thanks VERY much! Maybe I "over-worry" the warranty thing. In doing further research, I see that I can look for a CPO car, and it'll come with some extra warranty, for piece of mind. I may go that route, rather than spending on an ESP. I completely agree about vehicle condition being the primary concern. SHOs are rare out here, so I'm actually internet shopping. I'll either "fly-n-drive", or have the car transported to me. Kinda stinks, but that's how it is.

I know you said you want a SHO with the performance package. If you have any flexibility on that, you might want to consider a used Lincoln MKS ecoboost. They have the same powertrain as the SHO and have a 1 year longer factory warranty. There is no performance package for the MKS, however. One possible advantage is that you might find an MKS in better condition that the SHO. The original buyer was likely a bit older than the SHO buyer and might have been a bit more gentle with it. Just a thought.....

x2 ^^^. Also, mine is Lincoln Certified, but I have come to learn (after the fact) that an extended FORD warranty, versus certification, may actually have been better in terms of coverage. I have not thoroughly researched it, but when I buy again, I am going to look into it. I was told this by a FORD service manager, and at the time, he gave me a specific example of something covered under an extended FORD warranty and not covered inder Certified. I can't recall the example right now..damn getting older thing..... Like Bruce said, Lincoln owners tend to be older. LOL.

Thanks a ton, Bruce & Todd! I will do some research on the MKS. My primary desire for the PP was ONLY in the 20" wheels. I found that the 19s are a less common size, and actually tend to cost more than the 20s. Having said that, I've also learned that 20s were available w/o the PP. So, to be fair, I'll say that I want a car with 20" wheels, and navigation. Oh, and a sunroof. Hopefully I can find MKSs in my price range, and if so, expand my buying options. I wanted to get a car for $25k, but may be able to go another $2-3k, if I save longer for a larger downpayment. FWIW, I'll be 44 in not too awful long. Don't know where that fits in the SHO/MKS demographic, LOL.

Good luck in your search. For what it is worth, I think you will find the vast majority of ecoboost MKSs will have the 20 inch wheels, dual panel moonroof and navigation. I haven't priced used SHOs or MKSs but I think the resale on an MKS is pretty poor. There may not be a ton of difference between the SHO and MKS when buying used. Either one is a lot of car for the money, in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, Bruce! I've noticed that about the MKSs, regarding the features you mentioned. From what I see, there's not much price difference between used SHOs & MKSs. Considering the longer warranty, and additional features, there's a very strong case for the MKS.

I've been researching alot last night & this morning, including a call to The Ford/Lincoln ESP hotline, or what have you. I'd like to share what I've found, in hopes it'll help someone else as well. I may state some obvious stuff, but wanna give the foundation for some of my conclusions.

The SHO has 3/36k comprehensive & 5/60k powertrain warranties, the MKS comes with 4/50k comprehensive & 6/70k powertrain coverage. Obvious advantage to Lincoln.

Lincoln's CPO program offers a comprehesive 6/100k warranty, w/ a $100/visit deductible. Ford's CPO program is 1/12k (stand alone; not tied to original registration date/current mileage) comprehensive & 7/100k powertrain, again with a $100/visit deductible. I like Lincoln's coverage here as well, I'll personally trade 1yr of powertrain warranty, for what typically equates to 2-3yrs extra comprehensive coverage. I plugged in many many VINS/mileages, checking variables on this.

The PremiumCARE ESP is available up to 7/125k, and is comprehensive. An additional advantage to the ESP is that you have some flexibility with the months & miles covered. You can also decline "first day" car rental coverage, which will reduce the plan price some. I typically drive less than 10k/yr., so I like that I can choose the max time length, but reduce the mileage amount to save on the plan price. Why pay for miles that I'll likely not use, before the time is up? On the other hand, this also allows for someone who drives more, or buys a used car that has higher mileage on it.

Todd mentioned the coverage difference between CPO & ESP, so I looked into this. He is indeed correct, but I'd say the CPO covers probably 95% of what the PremiumCARE ESP covers. I didn't note every single difference, but ones that I did catch include: SYNC, backup rearview camera, and power rear window shade. All listed under the ESP, but not the CPO warranty.

The following is what I learned from the gentleman at the ESP service center:

ESPs can be added to out-of-warranty cars, but you must call the ESP center. A vehicle inspection, by a rep of theirs, is also required. There's an inspection fee of approx. $110, and the plan rates may be higher than what's typically listed on the ESP website matrix.

ESPs can be added to cars that are currently covered by a CPO warranty, but you must call the ESP center. Since the vehicle already has added protection, he stated that the plan rate would be "significantly less" than what's typically listed on the ESP website matrix.

If you intend to purchase an ESP, buy it as soon after buying the vehicle (or with it) as possible. The reasoning is that they take into account the known condition of the car (CPO cars), and it's remaining warranty coverage. This can significantly reduce the pricing of the plans.

I hope all this helps someone else, it's certainly helped me!