Ecoboost Owner Forums

warranty worries

travSHO

Broken cylinder #8 piston. Had a tune from a very renown tuner and Steeda CAI with exhaust. Car was very quick. At 7000 miles the motor was hurt. I ended up building with good parts and finally traded it in for the SHO. Their are many theories as to why these motors break and I have mine. Maybe a new thread as this is an entirely off this threads topic.

Yeah, I have heard of cases like yours but I have yet to hear about a failed ecoboost from a LMS tune. Like I said in other posts in the end it eco is just a machine and with my luck i know I am tempting fate.

It's really simple. The factory PCM stores random bits of information that CANNOT be changed or deleted. These bits of data are what the engineer is looking for when a situation arises. The max RPM and SPEED is a couple. If your factory rpm is 6250 as is most Fords and the tec enters in mode 6 I think it's called and sees 6600 rpm what do you think this means? What about a non pp SHO going 158' date=' the factory speed limits at just shy of 140. These deviations from the "norm" gets you voided. [b']Not to mention the PCM has a flash counter. So if you tune your car then put it back to stock, just 1 time you car now has a flash count increased by 2. "Hummm,Ii wonder why this car has a flash count of 8" asks the Ford engineer. Now I'm not trying to say don't tune your car, but telling people that Ford cannot see if you've tuned is misleading. Just my .02[/b]

This is my concern with tuning. I AutoX my car in a stock class where a pcm cannot be flashed. So i would need to flash it before every race, after one year my flash count would be at 20+. I think that may race some flags "if" i were to have an issue. It be nice if would could do like i did my SRT4, and just pop in a new pcm that has my flash. That why my stock computer stay's unmolested.

I don't see why you couldn't get another PCM and make it a clone of yours then flash that one. I've heard of it being done on newer Stangs. I was talking to a Cop this afternoon and he was telling me that the police interceptor SHO as well as the Dodge Charger's both have more HP than the regular ones and the speed limit removed. Anyone ever hear of this? Any truth to this? I am going to do some research.

The only problem is to get the pcm cloned with your cars vin you need to have a ford dealer do it. With the SRT we would typically "donate" to the tech directly and he would program the new PCM and it would not show up as under your cars service history as not to raise any flags. I'm not sure if the same could be done with the SHO.

I don't see why you couldn't get another PCM and make it a clone of yours then flash that one. I've heard of it being done on newer Stangs. I was talking to a Cop this afternoon and he was telling me that the police interceptor SHO as well as the Dodge Charger's both have more HP than the regular ones and the speed limit removed. Anyone ever hear of this? Any truth to this? I am going to do some research.

I never saw anything about a difference in power. I'm pretty sure at least for the Ford they are exactly the same as far as power. The 2013 SHO PP I believe has the same suspension, brakes, cooling upgrade, etc. as the police interceptor. I think the Ford Interceptor is limited at 148 mph. I'm not sure what the limit is on the 2013 SHO PP. The regular 2013 SHO is listed at 136 being top speed. I know mine went faster, but the speedometer only goes to 140.

Just get a spare battery and tell them you decided to use a diffrent brand. First flash stock file back in, then put new battery in.. And if you have a CAI kit put back stock intake box...If you have a Catback Exhaust-- thats fine as long as the 3rd cat is in place. The trick is to make it look stock and clean as possible. Or just take it in with your mods installed..they have to prove that tune or aftermarket part caused the problem..look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637.

I never saw anything about a difference in power. I'm pretty sure at least for the Ford they are exactly the same as far as power. The 2013 SHO PP I believe has the same suspension' date=' brakes, cooling upgrade, etc. as the police interceptor. I think the Ford Interceptor is limited at 148 mph. I'm not sure what the limit is on the 2013 SHO PP. The regular 2013 SHO is listed at 136 being top speed. I know mine went faster, but the speedometer only goes to 140.[/quote']

I actually saw a ford POV testing event and a ford rep stated that the EB had 365HP so the officially stated power is the same. But you know sometimes mfg sandbag their performance numbers. The POV SHO also has a beefier suspension to hauling perps, guns and ammo. The front suspension mainly the control arms are stronger so that the POV SHO can run up on curbs without damage.

Just get a spare battery and tell them you decided to use a diffrent brand. First flash stock file back in' date=' then put new battery in.. And if you have a CAI kit put back stock intake box...If you have a Catback Exhaust-- thats fine as long as the 3rd cat is in place. The trick is to make it look stock and clean as possible. Or just take it in with your mods installed..they have to prove that tune or aftermarket part caused the problem..look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637.[/quote']

I know that would help with explaining the reset KAM, but it doesn't reset the flash count. But keeping it stock looking is key to not raising any warranty flags.

I actually saw a ford POV testing event and a ford rep stated that the EB had 365HP so the officially stated power is the same. But you know sometimes mfg sandbag their performance numbers. The POV SHO also has a beefier suspension to hauling perps, guns and ammo. The front suspension mainly the control arms are stronger so that the POV SHO can run up on curbs without damage.

I known we're getting off the original subject, but the Police Interceptor was built along side the 2013 SHO PP. The suspension is exactly the same on both the interceptor and 2013 SHO PP. The interior is different as they cut the back seats shorter and made more room for prisoners. There are some other INTERIOR changes, such as center console and shifter is on the column, etc. The only difference on the outside are the wheels. The entire suspension, control arms, engine and exterior is exactly the same as the 2013 SHO PP. The interceptor is only different in the interior.

I known we're getting off the original subject' date=' but the Police Interceptor was built along side the 2013 SHO PP. The suspension is exactly the same on both the interceptor and 2013 SHO PP. The interior is different as they cut the back seats shorter and made more room for prisoners. There are some other INTERIOR changes, such as center console and shifter is on the column, etc. The only difference on the outside are the wheels. The entire suspension, control arms, engine and exterior is exactly the same as the 2013 SHO PP. The interceptor is only different in the interior.[/quote']

So we don't get further off topic. You can just go directly to Ford Interceptor site under the durability section it talks about the reinforced subframe and some other goodies.