Ecoboost Owner Forums

Differences between 2010-12 and 2013 SHO

steve142857

Hey guys!

So, few members had the chance to drive or own the 2010-12 and the 2013 SHO. I believe Gregoire, like me, owned a previous SHO before switching to the new 2013. I figured it could interest a few members to list the differences between the two. Now, my 2010 was a non-PP and this 2013 is a PP. The revious was fairly modded and this one is still totally stock. But I remember how the 2010 was stock too. So, the following list is what I noted so far:

Outside:

Everyone can notice the main differences as the front grill, the LED lights, the shape of the headlights, the hood has slightly different lines too, the wheels are different, the exhaust tips look a bit better now, the rear view camera is on the Ford logo no more on the trunk lid, no more SHO lettering on the back side windows.

Side vents reading SHO

instead of Taurus.

NO MORE CHROME ON TAIL LIGHTS!!! No more flaking ahh! lol

The keyless entry pad with numbers no longer can be touched randomly when keys are near to open the door... Now if you have your key in your pockets, you just hold the handle and it unlocks... The keyless numbers are to be used with a code to open the door if you don't have the key.

Critics:

In Canada, the headlights are still no HID or xenon... Still the yellowish lights... : (

The suspension is still way to high... The car is already 5ft. tall, they could have lowered the car a good inch...

I personally don't like the new wheels too much, but many like them. I think however, that it is not as unanimous as the previous mags.

The front grill looks more sporty and is made of black chrome that offers a good quality finish (first impression)... better imo than the black mesh in plastic that Mobsteel was offering, even if they really look good.

Also, they removed a lot of the chrome in the front, which now looks better balanced with the rest of the car.

They could have change the outside look a bit more to differenciate more than previous model, especially the rear... but at the same time, I liked its look, so I am happy with it... I am just afraid that this 2013 model is a transition and the next model will see a more drastic change (like the Fusion) and the resale value will drop drastically.

Inside:

All adjustments for seat are electronic.

The MyFord Touch looks very simple... not many buttons. It looks clean, but especially that I no longer have the gauge pod from Chris, it feels a bit naked.

However, all the controls are accessible with the computer(s) on the navi screen or on the dash from the arrows and enter buttons on the steering...

More info from the comptuters too, but sometime it is easier a simple button that does the job quicly rather than having to search for the function in the computer (ex. ambient light).

The seats have the SHO logo which look very sharp.

My car has the multicontour seat and it gives a nice quality touch.

The inside of the car is all black and grey... I like, but maybe some people would prefer a bit more color contrast or luminosity.

The material of the compartments etc. is less hard, better finish and the compratments themselves close better than before, better quality too.

Gadgets (others than all goodies from 2010-12):

The steering is heating! and has a nice leather and suede (alcantraz?) finish... not sure how long the suede will look nice... Will it get dirty?

The key fob (is that the you guys call it) has a remote starter included... love it in the winter up here!

It has the automated park assist... Very cool gadget, but more to impress than other thing... I find it easier and faster to park it myself, but my wife would love it!

Performance:

Here I can't compare, because now I have the PP and it is stock, the other one, as stated, was non-PP and modded.

So, now I feel that the car is very slow. However, I know it is fast compared to other cars. I think that the grandfather that drove the first 5K miles on it never punched it... So, with that!?!» and was not hesitating, but just slow to accelerate... But I am educating the tranny and letting her know that her new owner will shake her a bit and she is actually waking up!

I can say that the extra shift needed to get to 60mph actually makes the 0-60 slower compared to the stock 2010 nonPP that could get over 60 in second gear. However, the power is more accessible regardless on what gear we are with the PP 2013.

Also, there is a real sport mode on the shifter. When on D, it is smooth and relax, but in S, the rpm is a bit higher, throttle response more direct.

A differnce also is that you can switch to manual mode without having to put it in sport mode, you can drive on D and if you desire, just hit the + or - and it will automatically switch to manual shifting.

Even if stock, the brakes, the handling and the shifting feel improved compared to non-PP 2010.

All-in all it is a very nice car. I am not sure it is worth changing a previous edition to this new one if that implie a 20K$ more for the change. In my case, with the two recent accidents, the rebuilt tranny that I had had, the fact that it had 61K miles on it, that the extended warranty was good for only 1K miles more, that I could transfer all my mods except the gauge pod and that the vendor at Ford gave me 2K$ than the market value for it... I couldn't say no.

With the transfer of mods, the addition of downpipes and from what I read, the 2013 seeming to be faster and the PP too, I hope that if I did 12.09 with the previous one, that beast can reach into the 11's.

There you go, I invite others to continue with their noted differences. I am sure I forgot a few, but I think I wrote the main ones.

Thanks!

As much as I will miss the gauge pod, for the moment, I will try to slow down on car money... The new new cars, the franchises for insurance, the unwrapping, the transfer of mods, the downpipes, the new H&R springs, ... When I will order a new gauge pod, I will have to buy new gauges too and to match the 2013 better, I would go with digital ones... So the gauges and the summer mags probably will have to wait until spring 2014...

I hope that the new MyCal (oh yeah that is another expense, because the MyCal I was using in the 2010 isn't caompatible with the 2013) will be able to provide me with useful info such as boost gauge, because with methanol, it is ueful to see the boost levels.

Thanks!

I hope that the new MyCal (oh yeah that is another expense, because the MyCal I was using in the 2010 isn't compatible with the 2013) will be able to provide me with useful info such as boost gauge, because with methanol, it is useful to see the boost levels.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the Mycalibr8tor for 2013 is similar to the SCT for the 10-12s. There is no MyCal for the 13s that I know of yet. On the up side, it's only $600.

As much as I will miss the gauge pod' date=' for the moment, I will try to slow down on car money... When I will order a new gauge pod, I will have to buy new gauges too and to match the 2013 better, I would go with digital ones... [/quote']

Digital might be hard to read if there is a lot of movement (like boost), i like the look of analog and can tell at a glance what the reading are. here's some pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2010[/ATTACH]

post-895-142532291172_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291176_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291172_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291176_thumb.jpg

Digital might be hard to read if there is a lot of movement (like boost), i like the look of analog and can tell at a glance what the reading are. here's some pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2010[/ATTACH]

They look good!

It's sad that the MyCal for 2010-12 doens't support the 2013... At least I can use the «old» MyCal in the new Lincoln MKT (new for me but 2010). I'll see what I can do to read boost meanwhile.

Thanks!

They look good!

It's sad that the MyCal for 2010-12 doens't support the 2013... At least I can use the «old» MyCal in the new Lincoln MKT (new for me but 2010). I'll see what I can do to read boost meanwhile.

Thanks!

Steve for a boost gauge for the time being perhaps a cell phone app with a bluetooth dongle. That why you should to set your turn on for the meth correctly. OH don't forget your bar 3 map!

Steve for a boost gauge for the time being perhaps a cell phone app with a bluetooth dongle. That why you should to set your turn on for the meth correctly. OH don't forget your bar 3 map!

Thanks Chris! With English being my third language, I don't know what you mean by dongle. Thanks! lol

It is the one I bought for connecting to my phone/tablet with the torque app. So far I recommend it, since it hasn't died (heh). I know Larrylu had an inexpensive one that did die on him after only 8 hours, so ymmv. I haven't reached 8 hours yet, so I may not be so happy later on. :-/

EDIT: No iPhone, because Torque does not work with iPhone, Android only.

Yes my $15 Chinese knockoff died in 8 hours but even if it did not I would not have been happy with it for long because they did not recommend leaving it plugged in continuously because of battery drain issues and that made it not good for what I wanted it to do. Also although my second try cost much more, I can leave it plugged in continuously, and it also has 4 times the connection speed so the display does not have a lag. So it took me one $15 try to learn what I really wanted. I really think that the the OBD2 Link MX is worth it unless of course you just want to run Torque occasionally for diagnostic or what ever.