Ecoboost Owner Forums

PTU fluid replacement

You need to read this thread:

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?p=1383636

Specifically post 34 that shows the rear axle sub-assembly with the differential clutch on the front of it and also post 42.

I've read that thead before, and i see where typhoon5000 is stating what your saying but i'm not seeing any information to back up. I have wonder the accuracy of his information given that in post #42 he stated

"The SHO trans has a few gears that are wider, as well as a cooler to handle the extra power, but that's about it IIRC."
Which we know is incorrect. The 2010-2012 SHO has the same cooling system setup as the regular Taurus. It wasn't until 13 that the additional coolers were added.

If you also go to ZF's Driving Dynamics site, it has the information on their Axle drives for cars. We use their ZF AWD Disconnect System which from ZF directly states

and additional fuel-consumption due to AWD. Disconnect means that always when no AWD function is required, there will not just be no torque transferred to the secondary axle

The Rear drive unit, in this application is setup to function as follows,

Thanks to an RDU with a twin-clutch, traction and driving-dynamics are improved as the drive-torque can be distributed between the rear wheels as appropriate.

Which is is more geared towards torque vectoring between the rear wheels, then driveshaft engagement.

There is also a diagram on page 9 that states,

Parts of the driveline not rotating in 2WD due to AWD-Disconnect
It is referring to the items highlighted in orange, which includes the PTU, Rear driveshaft, and rear differential. Which leads me to believe that when its not needed the rear driveshaft and differential isn't engaged.

Is driveshaft rotation visible from outside? Maybe check underneath the car while it is idling (safely), or mount a GoPro for mobile viewing?

Doesn't Ford have the capability of controlling PTU function? Though it may not make sense for the PTU to be active all the time (fuel economy, wear/tear), it may make sense from response time perspective.

I can't get anyone out here to want to change the PTU fluid. The Ford dealers here in California have some thing against it....BIG TIME and it's really pissing me off!!

They all keep bringing me the copy of the service bulletin saying NOT to change it unless they disassemble the PTU and do it that way. And only if its in need of replacement or submerged in water. What's interesting is I don't think there's even a certain mileage of when to ever replace the fluid for the life of the vehicle. Maybe its like a disposable cell phone?!

The labor cost for that is almost $600.00 for a freakin' fluid change. They argue that if they do it from the top Ford won't warranty the work so they want to take it off, open it up and change it that way.

Yet these PTU's are failing on the Ford Edge's and one happen to be getting a new one in the shop at the time of mine being there.

Maybe this is a California thing but nobody seems to know much about them out here on the Sho:noidea:

I can't get anyone out here to want to change the PTU fluid. The Ford dealers here in California have some thing against it....BIG TIME and it's really pissing me off!!

They all keep bringing me the copy of the service bulletin saying NOT to change it unless they disassemble the PTU and do it that way. And only if its in need of replacement or submerged in water. What's interesting is I don't think there's even a certain mileage of when to ever replace the fluid for the life of the vehicle. Maybe its like a disposable cell phone?!

The labor cost for that is almost $600.00 for a freakin' fluid change. They argue that if they do it from the top Ford won't warranty the work so they want to take it off, open it up and change it that way.

Yet these PTU's are failing on the Ford Edge's and one happen to be getting a new one in the shop at the time of mine being there.

Maybe this is a California thing but nobody seems to know much about them out here on the Sho:noidea:

That Sux, i had mine done at a dealer and when another member wanted to get their's done i sent them my work order. Paid less than $200 to have the PTU and rear diff fluid replaced. I've seen what a PTU looks like and that fluid doesn't look like a "Lifetime" fluid. Especially in a performance application.

I am running into the same problem here in MI and same exact story as Griggs - almost identical, which suggests to me Ford is scaring the dealers..... My car is in as I write this currently for rear diff B&G and tranny B&G. They will only do the PTU by disassembling.....and again they do not recommend at all unless there has been contamination or submersion. So, if I wanted it done, they would do it, but only by dis-assembling and hundreds of $$. I have the powertrain and Certified warranty until 9/2016, so I am not overly worried, I actually hope it fails in a year or two so I get new fluid under warranty via a new unit. LOL...

I'm beginning to think that Ford just wants us to buy new PTU's when they fail. Why else would there be no service on it unless it fails (which we know is going to happen at some point). Everything else on the car needs service like the the tranny, rear end, engine. Very peculiar to my mind.

The PTU is $600 or so so plus labor so maybe it's just typical corporate bs no different than any other business. Make more money selling it to us when they fail just out of warranty.

I don't dislike Ford for my opinion but usually there's a scam behind everything business wise and I like to find it. Now I just need to find out how I can get my PTU fluid changed by Ford and have them warranty it without taking apart the damn PTU.

If not, I'll just have to get dirty and do it myself the old fashioned way.

I did get my service writer to admit that he could see no harm done by having an independent pull the top plug, wipe off the magnetized deposits, suck out all the fluid possible and refill with new. It might not be perfect but it sure is better than nothing! The official P/C position on this does not seem to make sense.

^^ Right, and my dealer also said that I could do that, but they could not do it for me. If they did it, they would have to dis-assemble....yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah..... I am feeling stronger that dealers are being told, "If you do this and there is ever a PTU failure after that, it is on your dime".

My service writer at Ford is saying "this is odd" and I left him scratching his head too. I told him, that's ok, I'll just start a nice big internet discussion about this.

I honestly think that it's about the $$ and selling us parts and labor in the future. Car companies in general don't make much money on the sales of the cars themselves but all the service and parts in the future.

The PTU is just another example and I refuse to play the money game if I have the means.

Fellas I recommend having someone change your PTU oil out, I had my PTU replaced at 29k and it was pretty nasty inside even though I had changed oil a few thousand mile before. Long story short on the why it was replaced is dealer thought it was a source of a noise I was experiencing. And in fact was not the source of noise.

The PTU get very hot, and hold very little oil, hence why on 2013's the PTU is liquid cooled. Not a tough job to do, easier on a lift but can be done at home in the garage with a vacuum pump such as a mighty mini vac.

Well, FMC Execs have been known to troll the various forums / boards from time to time, and since we've developed a great little community here on EBOF, it wouldn't surprise me if any (or some) of them weren't reading the various posts contained within this thread.

All I can suggest is, keep at it.....

Change is generally slow, especially when it's being force fed down the throat(s) of those few, making the decisions for the masses.

Interestingly enough though, eventually a lot of us will catch onto the game, and either change this specific fluid out ourselves, or find some shop to do so......

Which ultimately will lead to even some degree of uncaptured revenue (for FMC) whether that be in the form of servicing / maintenance fee(s), or due to our diligence, NOT having to replace the PTU.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Great points above from many people on this forum. I specifically went to this dealer because I Yelped them and they said they can do the job. I even spent extra money $225.00 to have them do the tranny service using 12 quarts of Amsoil, $50 extra than the next dealer. Now all I've done is waste my time driving the extra mileage to get to this "great" dealership to be let down.

I'm trying to give Ford money to work on my car and they won't take it, lol.

Word to the wise, ask very specific questions on the phone with people who know what there talking about before you do what I just did and waste valuable time.

One other thing, the ding dong mechanic (who must've worked for Hostess) only put half the Amsoil in the tranny because when I got the car back I still had 6.5 quarts in the trunk.

Immediately I was like "Houston we have a major problem" and pointed to the remainder in the trunk. If I didn't bring in my own stuff I would just assume they did the job properly and paid big money to do so. Needless to say I'm a bit cranky today having to deal with this half ass work.

Heads up everyone, you may think they did all your fluids so check it carefully or do it yourself!