Ecoboost Owner Forums

Needs some help with PTU fluid Change

I went to ford to ask them about doing it They wanted 220$ without dropping it. Thats too high for me. I fairly competent mechanically and am looking to see what tools I would need to change it myself. I do not have a lift, no jack stands.

I know I will need to suck it out but I am not sure with what? If you guys can check amazon for the things you use and link them here that will help. I know the redline oil is on amazon, but there were a few different types of 75/140 and I wasn't sure on which to use.

If you guys can find a vac thats relatively inexpensive that would work for me that would be great! Just post links to amazon that you think would work.

Thanks!

Hmm..I see mityvac 7400 is the big hand pump. Then it has an accessory for brake lines that is just a hose and valve thing called mityvac 7205 accessory kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365022099&sr=8-2&keywords=fluid+evacuator

Does this accomplish the same thing as your example?

I guess i'm looking for a difference between the

7400 Regular http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

and the 7201 Plus version

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365022099&sr=8-1&keywords=fluid+evacuator

Paco either one will work brake bleeder kit isn't need for these pumps to suck out PTU. But the problem I do see with these is they are large, and you already said you don't have a lift or jack stands. The car will need to be level so not to over fill PTU, I did mine with the small hand pump as in the amazon link above. I had to empty the cup a couple times in my oil drain pan as it only holds about 8oz. I also had the car level on 4 jack stands. As for tool I don't remember the size of hex plug in PTU but use a couple 3/8" 9" extensions and ratchet and that gave me plenty of room to wrench the plug as my ratchet was just inside the passenger front wheel.

Probably going to rent a lift at the Navy base 1 hour away. So I will buy the 7201 since it sucks and fills. And keep that since I think it will be more useful to me for doing other things. I think with this model I will be able to put exactly the amount the PTU needs and just fill it back up after I clean it from sucking out.

Thanks for you comments!

Probably going to rent a lift at the Navy base 1 hour away. So I will buy the 7201 since it sucks and fills. And keep that since I think it will be more useful to me for doing other things. I think with this model I will be able to put exactly the amount the PTU needs and just fill it back up after I clean it from sucking out.

Thanks for you comments!

What NAS BASE are you at? 26yr Navy RETIRED.

Probably going to rent a lift at the Navy base 1 hour away. So I will buy the 7201 since it sucks and fills. And keep that since I think it will be more useful to

me for doing other things. I think with this model I will be able to put exactly the amount the PTU needs and just fill it back up after I clean it from sucking out.

Thanks for you comments!

with the lift rental, purchase of the machinery, fluid, what are you up to in cost, excluding all of your time? 220 seems like a lot, but after reading all of this, I might be rethinking it myself. I know the procedure is easy, but all that is required to get to that point for you (and me) seems like a lot. Though, except for the lift you'll be set to do with the next time.

What you guys are forgetting, is that the purchase of your pump, or vacuum contraption, or what have you......

That item alone is a one time cost.

Fluid ran me like $16 for the Royal Purple.

So your initial costs may be higher than desired, however, the long term benefit will be that you can perform this fluid swap whenever you chose to, from that point forward, and really only be out let's say $20 for fluid on the high end.

crash712us did his in his garage, so although having a lift would make it obviously a helluva lot easier, it's certainly not necessary.

What you guys are forgetting, is that the purchase of your pump, or vacuum contraption, or what have you......

That item alone is a one time cost.

Fluid ran me like $16 for the Royal Purple.

So your initial costs may be higher than desired, however, the long term benefit will be that you can perform this fluid swap whenever you chose to, from that point forward, and really only be out let's say $20 for fluid on the high end.

crash712us did his in his garage, so although having a lift would make it obviously a helluva lot easier, it's certainly not necessary.

Yes a lift would have made much easier, in fact not having a lift was the hardest part of the job. Having to squeeze my big under there and twist and contort my arms to do. Will be doing on my buddies lift from now on, will turn this hour long job into a 15min job.

Well I ran out of time for diff, but I took an hour looking for the plug and I took extra crap off. The old fluid was chocolate milk milkshake consistency I was only able to vacuum 8 oz out so I filled it till my new fluid was running out in mostly the same orange that was in my Redline bottle. So I didn't get every but of old fluid probably. But I am glad I changed it. Lift was busy son I did it on jack stands bleh...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2