Ecoboost Owner Forums

AutoX'ing the SHO

racerx78

Well after 5 months of “gently” breaking the car in. It finally time for the racing season to begin. Besides some fun in the snow last year I really haven’t been able safely push the SHO to see what it can do. I won’t be going to hocking hills until sometime this summer, but should be able to do a HPDE as well in July. The cars main job will be AutoX running G stock in RTA. Two weeks ago was our regions first “Fun Event.” A ton of cars showed up in a GTR, 911 GT3, Lotus, and a GT40 Replica.

We had a fast course with some sharp corners to trip you up. Took the car out there and did much better than I expected. The SHO handled very well. The chassis is setup nicely and stayed composed and did have any excessive body roll in a car this size. I could easily induce some liftoff or brake oversteer when needed. The TT EB motor gives you more than enough power when you ask for it with no lag. I know now that I am not as concerned with getting the car tuned. I was never in need of power. I have the PP with the shorter final drive but even with this course I was able to manually shift to 2nd and just keep it there without it topping out.

Overall out of 100 cars I came 1st in RTA, 25th in PAX and 53rd overall. It will be fun to see how the rest of the season goes. I’m not sure of what competition will have this year. I had some problems with my SD card for my GoPro so I don’t have any video but here are the pics that were taken.

DSC_0270_zps338e815d.jpg

_MG_3552_zps611a956b.jpg

_MG_3554_zps9b403729.jpg

_MG_3555_zps308fd8be.jpg

_MG_3863_zpsf0ced0fc.jpg

_MG_3866_zps8c2c779d.jpg

_MG_3867_zpsfa2ee03b.jpg

_MG_3868_zps5ed705e8.jpg

DSC_0271_zpsc9684f98.jpg

No actually. Most of the course it was mostly neutral with lift off/braking oversteer. I had a couple of times where i did have major understeer but it was typicall after i got up to speed then had to do a 90 degree turn. If i had set the car up right i could have calmed it down but a driver mod is needed for that. Aside from being the heaviest car there that day and placing as well as i did. I have to say this car is not in a stock autox class. I'm ok with not getting tuned now because i couldn't use much more power out there.

Do you have any mods at all? It looks lowered... I understand when you say that you want to stay in a certain not modded class and respect that, but when you say that you don't need more power... you'd be surprised. The tune gives you so much more power from anywhere between 0 and 60, that you would really see a big difference, I am convinced. The torque gains from 1000-4000 rpm are huge! With the tune and downpipes I cut about one second from 0-40 mph! So at auto-X, I think you are going between 1st and 2nd gear which is exactly where the peaks in power gains occur with the tune... Just saying! Again, I understand that you want to stay in the totally stock class. I should bring my car to one of those someday, it would be different than straight line... but more damageable for the car and more costly for maintenance too (suspension, brakes, tires, etc.).

Do you have any mods at all? It looks lowered... I understand when you say that you want to stay in a certain not modded class and respect that' date=' but when you say that you don't need more power... you'd be surprised. The tune gives you so much more power from anywhere between 0 and 60, that you would really see a big difference, I am convinced. The torque gains from 1000-4000 rpm are huge! With the tune and downpipes I cut about one second from 0-40 mph! So at auto-X, I think you are going between 1st and 2nd gear which is exactly where the peaks in power gains occur with the tune... Just saying! Again, I understand that you want to stay in the totally stock class. I should bring my car to one of those someday, it would be different than straight line... but more damageable for the car and more costly for maintenance too (suspension, brakes, tires, etc.).[/quote']

The only thing you damage AutoX'ing is just your tires. Thats why i run a seperate set of tires for racing. Beyond that there is not other damage done to your car or overly wearing of anything like brakes, or oil.

As far as the tune. I don't doubt its a major change from stock. I had a CaliberSRT4 that made 300 tq stock and i thought that was a lot. When i got a Stage 1 flash for it from mopar it was night and day and was amazing. My issue is that most of my racing in AutoX and the window for me to go half to full throttle is so small it wouldn't make that i wouldn't be able to use it. I may get a few tenths of a second, which is nice but not enough to make me competive in the class i'd have to move to that typically runs a few to several seconds faster than my class. If i did drag racing or was on a road course more often, then i'd got to use the power more of the time. I know i'd see a big difference.

No actually. Most of the course it was mostly neutral with lift off/braking oversteer. I had a couple of times where i did have major understeer but it was typicall after i got up to speed then had to do a 90 degree turn. If i had set the car up right i could have calmed it down but a driver mod is needed for that. Aside from being the heaviest car there that day and placing as well as i did. I have to say this car is not in a stock autox class. I'm ok with not getting tuned now because i couldn't use much more power out there.

racerx Here I'm running in the novice class and I RAN A 56sec lap!!!!!! the VET IN THE 2nd vid best lap was 49sec. Not bad for a 4dr Taurus vs a Vet.

th_SUNP0007_zps36ce8347.jpg"]th_SUNP0007_zps36ce8347.jpg[/url]

th_SUNP0007_zps6315bf99.jpg"]th_SUNP0007_zps6315bf99.jpg[/url]

racerx Here I'm running in the novice class and I RAN A 56sec lap!!!!!! the VET IN THE 2nd vid best lap was 49sec. Not bad for a 4dr Taurus vs a Vet.

th_SUNP0007_zps36ce8347.jpg

th_SUNP0007_zps6315bf99.jpg

Looks good. My fastest time of the day(FTD) was 49.6 and the FTD overall was a 43 so i'm happy with what i did.