Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission "thump" when in reverse????

Hi all - I have a 2013 SHO and have been experiencing an issue when in reverse. Pulling out of my driveway, parking spot, etc when in reverse AND turning the steering wheel results in a "thump" from what sounds like the rear differential. I never have an issue when in drive; only reverse.

Any ideas?

So if you back straight out, no thump?

Does it thump right away when you start backing up, or half way through the turn?

Does it thump in both turning directions?

if you power brake with the wheel turned (car not moving), does it thump?

Does it "mini" thump when you go forward and turn the wheel after backing up?

could be drive-train or suspension.

I would still take it to the dealer anyway, but if you could narrow down the symptoms it might help with the diagnosis.

Yep, if I back straight out, no thump. It happens half way through the turn.

I'll have to check the other ones later

So if you back straight out, no thump?

Does it thump right away when you start backing up, or half way through the turn?

Does it thump in both turning directions?

if you power brake with the wheel turned (car not moving), does it thump?

Does it "mini" thump when you go forward and turn the wheel after backing up?

could be drive-train or suspension.

I would still take it to the dealer anyway, but if you could narrow down the symptoms it might help with the diagnosis.

• 2 weeks later...

Although this poster didn't describe the "thump" while in reverse, I am aware of other owners here who've experienced this "thump" while in drive.

The info below was gleamed from another community, and may be useful to some of you here:

I finally found the problem to the harsh bump shift I was having with light throttle and increasing load (going uphill). I had already had all TSBs for the tranny done years ago so I brought it to Ford to be looked at and they didn’t know what it was but said all tranny tests were good. So I decided to really delve deeper so I started researching other cars like the Edge' date=' Flex, and Mercury’s which had the 3.5 and same transmission. I had seen many people complaining of the same thing. Long story short I bought an OBD2 Bluetooth unit from Amazon and used a program called “Torque” for my smartphone and began to look at various parameter read by the PCM. The program had a diagnostic test which after run reveled that cylinder 5 had misfires which corresponded with the number of bump shifts I had that trip. Turns out the PCM will not indicate a failure unless it has a number of failures in a set amount of time. After a little more investigating it turns out a number of other people had bad coils that only failed under heavier load conditions. So I changed the coil and O2 sensors and problem is gone. Hope it helps others with the same problem. [/quote']