Ecoboost Owner Forums

Is a cold air intake worth it??

12sho

My theory...

On a turbo engine the turbo is super heating the air no matter where it comes from. The air is then cooled via the intercooler.

So whether the air entering the turbo is 75 degrees or 100 degrees seems moot. It's 200 degrees when it exits the turbo. That's why turbos always need intercoolers.

???

Well sort of....you start with ambient air temp...you compress it to a certain psi and then the inter cooler drops it 'x' degrees. It doesn't output a constant temperature but one relevant to what you started with so the cooler the air in the cooler the air out. So a cai can help if it truly brings in cooler air. The other thing is that if the intake is a restriction it is easier for the turbos to pull air in and spool faster. Think about drinking through a thin straw compared to a big one...it takes less effort to pull it through the big straw.

Well sort of....you start with ambient air temp...you compress it to a certain psi and then the inter cooler drops it 'x' degrees. It doesn't output a constant temperature but one relevant to what you started with so the cooler the air in the cooler the air out. So a cai can help if it truly brings in cooler air. The other thing is that if the intake is a restriction it is easier for the turbos to pull air in and spool faster. Think about drinking through a thin straw compared to a big one...it takes less effort to pull it through the big straw.

While you're running a sprint.........lol

I have found on turbo cars reducing the actual restriction of air helps the best. Thus why i just modified the OEM box with K&N drop in filter. I over doubled the intake space of the box by opening up the fenderwell side. In addition I opened up the small intake space pre snorkel in the radiator valance where the cold air cut out is above the grill. Couple of free mods. Really here the sucking and blow off's now. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I installed my Typhoon last night and the sound is awesome, the car already turned heads, but the sound of it spooling up and the blow off releasing pressure really gets em. You then get to see them mull over that those sounds just came from a 4 door family car. I also feel that the throttle response is a bit more crisp and she has a bit more git up and go, also I'm primed for getting a LMS tune at a future date. The Typhoon was money very well spent in my book.