Ecoboost Owner Forums

HID headlights - high beam not consistent

I've noticed over the past few days that when I change to high beam the indicator on the dash lights up to indicate it is in high beam mode, but, the headlights do not get brighter or go into high beam. Sometimes I hear a loud click in the dash. I can move the stalk back and forth a few times and sometimes, eventually, they go into high beam mode. Sometimes I'll go to high beam with no issues. I'm under warranty, so, I'll mention it to the dealer sometime, but, wondered if others had experienced this.

I've also noticed that if you pull the stalk back, the lights only flash, they do not stay on. I'm not sure if this is normal for Ford, but, I know other brands will keep the lights on until you release the stalk.

BTW, I have disabled the auto high beam in the settings as I didn't like it fully controlling the high/low beam settings.

Anyone else seen this?

Mark

2010 SHO

I'm like you, I have the auto high beam disabled...but my high beams do stay on as long as you hold the stalk in the rear position, mine doesn't flash. I know that's the intention to be able to flash high beams, but as long as I hold it back the high beams will stay lit, even when the headlights are off. Could it be that you have a rely or a ballast going bad? Just a guess since I really don't have a lot of HID knowledge. Just one last (silly) question. Have you checked to make sure it's just not a burnt out bulb? Again, I don't know if that would affect operation...again just a suggestion. Keep us updated on your findings. Good luck with this.

No, when I pull the stalk back, and hold it there, they do not stay on. Only 'sometimes' do they stay in high beam mode. The bulbs are not burnt out.

I've got an appt on Monday to have the Ford emblem replaced (it's de-laminating and the Ford blue is disappearing, whats up with that?) and I'll have them check it. I've not been to the dealer for any issues in 2 years, so, I'm definitely not complaining!

Mark

2010 SHO