Ecoboost Owner Forums

Catback exhaust drone

I've been reading all the exhausts threads I can and listening to all the exhaust samples I can find on YouTube etc.

I'm looking for great sound, but no drone. I do a lot of highway driving. I want to hear the car when I get on it, but quiet on the freeway.

Here is what I have come up with:

Corsa- No drone. Sound is questionable, with some thinking it sounds "rice" like. Fairly loud on acceleration.

Borla- Unknown drone. (Hopefully a Borla owner can chime in). Deepest sound. Not as loud as Corsa. What I'm leaning towards, but don't want drone.

Dynomax- Definite drone. Fairly loud. Cheapest option out there as it is a muffler only replacement.

Magnaflow- Maybe some drone? Seems like the least chosen option for the SHO.

Any owners that can chime in on drone, please do.

I've been reading all the exhausts threads I can and listening to all the exhaust samples I can find on YouTube etc. I'm looking for great sound' date=' but no drone. I do a lot of highway driving. I want to hear the car when I get on it, but quiet on the freeway. Here is what I have come up with: Corsa- No drone. Sound is questionable, with some thinking it sounds "rice" like. Fairly loud on acceleration. Borla- Unknown drone. (Hopefully a Borla owner can chime in). Deepest sound. Not as loud as Corsa. What I'm leaning towards, but don't want drone. Dynomax- Definite drone. Fairly loud. Cheapest option out there as it is a muffler only replacement. Magnaflow- Maybe some drone? Seems like the least chosen option for the SHO. Any owners that can chime in on drone, please do. [/quote']

I have the DynoMax, with the(OEM) 3rd cat and resanator NO drone the one guy had a X-pipe with his DynoMaxs drone I THINK.

I have just the Dynomax exhaust with everything else stock and in my opinion it does "drone" a little. Maybe our definitions our a little different but I count drone as a constant hum/resonation at certain speed ranges while cruising. My car definitely does that. Now I'm actually not knocking it as I really like the sound of the exhaust and it has quieted down some (probably due to carbon build up). But it isn't quiet by any means cruising 70-80 MPH.

Unfortunately the sounds of different exhausts are subjective to the tastes of the owners and I strongly recommend you try and find a way to hear one in person (difficult I realize) as clips on the Internet are almost impossible to reproduce the real sound of the exhaust. One person may love a certain sound and to someone else it sounds horrible...there are a lot of 4 cylinders out there with giant 4" cannons on them that sound like angry bees...I hate it but clearly there is a segment of the population that thinks its just "awesome". :)

I have just the Dynomax exhaust with everything else stock and in my opinion it does "drone" a little. Maybe our definitions our a little different but I count drone as a constant hum/resonation at certain speed ranges while cruising. My car definitely does that. Now I'm actually not knocking it as I really like the sound of the exhaust and it has quieted down some (probably due to carbon build up). But it isn't quiet by any means cruising 70-80 MPH. Unfortunately the sounds of different exhausts are subjective to the tastes of the owners and I strongly recommend you try and find a way to hear one in person (difficult I realize) as clips on the Internet are almost impossible to reproduce the real sound of the exhaust. One person may love a certain sound and to someone else it sounds horrible...there are a lot of 4 cylinders out there with giant 4" cannons on them that sound like angry bees...I hate it but clearly there is a segment of the population that thinks its just "awesome". :)

Yes, that is my definition of "drone". My car will be sitting at 70-80 mph a lot and I don't want to hear the resonation/hum at that speed.

I also realize that I need to hear the exhausts in person. Unfortunately, I very rarely see another SHO anywhere, let alone with any mods. I can get a great idea of the sound off the net, but my main concern right now is drone.

Thanks for the response.

I have just the Dynomax exhaust with everything else stock and in my opinion it does "drone" a little. Maybe our definitions our a little different but I count drone as a constant hum/resonation at certain speed ranges while cruising. My car definitely does that. Now I'm actually not knocking it as I really like the sound of the exhaust and it has quieted down some (probably due to carbon build up). But it isn't quiet by any means cruising 70-80 MPH. Unfortunately the sounds of different exhausts are subjective to the tastes of the owners and I strongly recommend you try and find a way to hear one in person (difficult I realize) as clips on the Internet are almost impossible to reproduce the real sound of the exhaust. One person may love a certain sound and to someone else it sounds horrible...there are a lot of 4 cylinders out there with giant 4" cannons on them that sound like angry bees...I hate it but clearly there is a segment of the population that thinks its just "awesome". :)

Yes, that is my definition of "drone". My car will be sitting at 70-80 mph a lot and I don't want to hear the resonation/hum at that speed.

I also realize that I need to hear the exhausts in person. Unfortunately, I very rarely see another SHO anywhere, let alone with any mods. I can get a great idea of the sound off the net, but my main concern right now is drone.

Thanks for the response.

BOTH are right. V6vsV8 SOUND LIKE A DRONE INSTEAD OF PURR. But DynoMax has a auto vale muffler that stop V6 drone.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17156/overview/