Ecoboost Owner Forums

Wierd noise upon startup

Whenever my car sits for more than 15 or so minutes the car makes a terrible loose, wierd piston slap kind of valve train noise upon starting. It has seemed to get noticeably louder to the point that a passenger asked me "what is that?" when we went to lunch the other day. The noise goes away about 7-10 seconds after staring and the car is running amazing with no noises at idle or while driving after this occurs just upon starting. In fact, I am getting my personal best MPG (24.2) and the car ran a 13.16 quarter mile at Livernois customer appreciation day in May. I will try and get a video. It almost sounds like there is NO oil at startup. It's very wierd and has me quite concerned as I just crossed 70k miles. Any thoughts guys or guesses on what to look for or check would be appreciated.

Good points guys. It definitely had something to do with the oil. I just changed the oil on Wednesday night and the noise is gone. I had suspected it and checked the level before the oil change and it was perfect so it's kind of funny how after a quick oil change the noise is gone with the new oil being at the same level as the old oil. Hmmm. I guess I will just keep my ears open and see if it returns. On a side note I did get the car 15% tinted all around on Thursday afternoon as a treat to her! She is dark as heck. Looks great the guy who did was exacting.