Ecoboost Owner Forums

Whirring noise on acceleration

So I've had a weird whirring noise on acceleration which was light for a while...and seemed to start shortly after installing a K&N air filter so I wrote it up to turbo noise.

Now all of a sudden my wife said the car seems sluggish and the whirring noise is MUCH more noticeable now! I can't really see the IC pipes but I'm thinking maybe a hose popped off? Where should I be looking? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I took a video so you guys can hear it. I wasn't getting on it to much but it gets much louder the more you get on the gas. Definitely turbo related in someway though. No smoking or oil or anything like that though.

Took it for a drive myself today...it's DEFINITELY way slower now. I seriously feels like the car isn't getting any boost. I'll have to get under the car and inspect the turbo piping. If a hose popped off somewhere would it make this noise? I guess it would make the turbo(s) much louder?

I took another video...it literally sounds like a vacuum cleaner when you get on it. I was light footing it in the video I posted.

Pull the engine cover off and follow the intake tube down between the motor and firewall - could be the oem bov on the tube or where the tube connects to the turbo.

Yeah I'll do that tomorrow. The bov has to be AFTER the turbos...I'm just not familiar with the piping of a twin turbo system at all. lol Either way the leak has to be AFTER the turbos...if the leak was before they'd still be sucking in air no matter if it was filtered or unfiltered and I'd still be getting boost. So I'm thinking somethings up with the piping after the turbos. I'll look into it and post back. Figured I"d post this to see if anyone has had a similar problem.

I just drove a dealer demo yesterday and had the same issue. When I opened the hood I showed the dealer where the intake tube next to the TB had came off. I later drove a non-demo SHO and can clearly tell the difference. No boost' date=' no power. [/quote']

Did it have the same "vacuum cleaner" noise that's heard in my video? I'll check it out when I get a chance here.

I just drove a dealer demo yesterday and had the same issue. When I opened the hood I showed the dealer where the intake tube next to the TB had came off. I later drove a non-demo SHO and can clearly tell the difference. No boost' date=' no power. [/quote']

Did it have the same "vacuum cleaner" noise that's heard in my video? I'll check it out when I get a chance here.

Sounded a little like that. Would only hear it when accelerating. Make sure all your pipes are connected.

• 2 weeks later...

Well things just got a bit more interesting...I checked all the hoses I could and it all seemed fine. Whirring suddenly went away yesterday when I was looking around. Either way was gonna load the stock tune on it today or tomorrow and bring it in (needed an oil change anyhow).

Wife called me up a bit ago and she heard a pop then white smoke...pulled over right away. Coolant definitely burning though. So while we're waiting for the tow truck to bring it to the dealer I attempt to load the stock tune back...of course it errors on me! Error code 1016 and it wouldn't download. Maybe the ECU sensed something blew and went into some sort of protect mode?? Either way she had called FORD roadside...so it'd look weird if we suddenly decided not to bring it in (while I attempt to get it back to stock). So we just sent it in loaded with the tune. Probably screwed now. Figured we can prorate the extended warranty and put that towards costs of fixing replacing a turbo (s). Ugh what a headache.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was most definitely a blown turbo. I didn't ask for details as I wanted to be a "forgettable" car. lol But good news...fully covered under warranty for a full turbo replacement even though it went in with the stage 2 tune loaded and exhaust installed! It was the turbo closest to the front bumper and not the rear. Symptoms were first the whirring...which had been going on for a while and got much louder around my original post so it had been going for a while!! Total loss of power once it got louder though. Then burning coolant when we brought it in.

Now the car is a flipping beast...faster than even when we first bought it!! So I suspect one of the turbos maybe wasn't boosting all the way the entire time we've owned it! lol

In anycase back in business and out zero cash!! :)