Ecoboost Owner Forums

6K miles so far, and I can't stop wondering

6K miles on the odometer and coming from an M3 and a C55 AMG I love and hate things about this car. I love the trunk, that is straight up boss mode, I love how aggressive the car looks lowered with wheels and everything blacked out, I'm sure people think I'm a cop when they first see it in the rear view. The recent sync update saved my unit from me ripping it out and tossing it out the Window, bluetooth and my droid just didn't get along, neither did my iphone before it. I miss feeling disconnected with the car and the road however. In the M3 and the Benz I could feel the good and the bad but felt in control. This car is plenty fast now, but the seats don't really remind you you're in a fast car. The seating position is mega high compared to my two other recent cars, I feel like I'm driving a school buss. The engine and exhaust note sound great with all my mods - outside! FFS, I get it, its a Taurus with a performance package but all this sound deadening, ugh ... When I went muffler less it sounded beautiful outside but inside it sounded like a civic with straight pipes :-( I still love driving it and I get constant compliments, but I'm really missing that connection I had with my previous cars. Might seem dumb, just sharing, not planning on making any changes any time soon but I wonder if I could have made a better choice at a similar price point, without going into a compact car again like a 3 series, C class Benz or S class audi (I wanted more room for adults in the back). Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

The observations you make are both valid and timely. However, I have a different take. This car is nothing like driving either my RX-7's in the past (both turbo and normal aspirated) nor is anything like the muscle cars I had in the past, the SHO is nothing like the Mustangs, 4-4-2's, Roadrunners, 'Cuda's, Duster's, or Camaro's of the late 60's. However, since I came out of 4WD trucks to the SHO, it is like driving a dream. I think the car handles nicely, I feel more connected to the drive, and the seating is much better then the trucks. Almost everyone complained about the quality of the brakes in the 10's, but after driving the trucks ( an F-150 & a Mark LT), I thought the SHO brakes were sweet. As for the sound, it's one reason I have not been in a hurry to go to an aftermarket exhaust, nothing sounds like the high compression V-8's of the muscle car era, and I was afraid making the a V-6 louder, just wasn't going to be a sound I'd enjoy.

Just wondering, if you a musing about a different choice, what vehicles would you have in mind? I

You could install an electronic cutout and then you could hear the unfettered exhaust at will ;) I don't think that most people today WANT to be "connected" to the road. They want to be isolated from it, road conditions having gone downhill steadily. So now Ford wraps you in luxury instead of bare, naked thrill. There is probably room for upgrades to get that "connected" feeling back, but since components are getting to be more drive-by-wire, don't know how expensive that could get.

The observations you make are both valid and timely. However' date=' I have a different take. This car is nothing like driving either my RX-7's in the past (both turbo and normal aspirated) nor is anything like the muscle cars I had in the past, the SHO is nothing like the Mustangs, 4-4-2's, Roadrunners, 'Cuda's, Duster's, or Camaro's of the late 60's. However, since I came out of 4WD trucks to the SHO, it is like driving a dream. I think the car handles nicely, I feel more connected to the drive, and the seating is much better then the trucks. Almost everyone complained about the quality of the brakes in the 10's, but after driving the trucks ( an F-150 & a Mark LT), I thought the SHO brakes were sweet. As for the sound, it's one reason I have not been in a hurry to go to an aftermarket exhaust, nothing sounds like the high compression V-8's of the muscle car era, and I was afraid making the a V-6 louder, just wasn't going to be a sound I'd enjoy. Just wondering, if you a musing about a different choice, what vehicles would you have in mind? I[/quote'] That's just it I'm not sure I could have made a better decision, and to be totally fair it's most likely me and not the car. I'm missing that raw sports feel but I'm not sure what car would offer that to me at the same class of car and price point. For example I love my friends '11 CTS-V but it's a bit too small for me. The Lexus ISF which I almost bought would have been the car for me if it wasn't $15K more expensive and a tad too small again. Never driven the SRT-8's so I can't comment, I've been turned off by the mere fact in my area there's one in every corner. Again just dialogue... Is there something that comes close to what I'm describing or have I in fact made the best choice? Thanks for sharing in the discussion I've had a hard time getting it off my mind. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I really have a different view on the SHO. To me, it is more luxury / tech than full size sports sedan. It has great power, and is very comfortable to drive. However, this is a 4300 lb car, and its focus is not ripping around corners, doing powerslides, etc. I will not be lowering mine because I love the ride quality, I decided against an exhaust (cutout and tune, maybe :) ) . I absolutely tip my hat to the members on here that are running meth, with full exhaust and tune and running in the low 12's, but for me, this car is not for that. I have owned muscle cars, sports cars, trucks, etc... and the SHO takes the cake... but for what it is, and who I am in this stage of my life. I like the seating position, and the seats are awesome for comfort (not holding you in place). I don't rip around corners much, but I have, and the car does really well, and I dust 95% of cars at the stoplight. I am babbling, but I love the SHO for what it is.

@closcer...all the cars you mention are more money then the SHO, and as far as SRT-8's....I am not sure you will get the same level of performance as the SHO, the guys that race on regular occasions are consistently beating the SRT's at the track with just a tune. And you can't expect a full size car to handle or feel like a sports car or sport sedan IMHO.

@Jc178...I pretty much agree with you except for the tune. Tuning the SHO has made it much, much better car and a lot more fun to drive. As far as exhaust...with you on that one, other then making the v-6 noisy it doesn't do much...when mine does need replaced, I will probably go with an aftermarket, but not now, the stock exhaust is fine. And I also am with you with the part about running the car...I've been there, done that. If you really want to race, you should have a dedicated race car...and then you can really spend money...but trying to make a race car out of your daily driver can (and mostly likely will) eventually drive you crazy!

Hey Padi, actually I meant I would love a tune, I am still kicking around the idea... I am just a tad bit worried about the warranty. With my 09 WRX, the dealership didn't care... not sure how Ford will react. I am not sure if there is a way for Ford to read the flash counter on the ECU to determine if it has been flashed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys timely for me to read your post on uncertainty in the purchase of SHO as I remain wondering about options for my new car buy. I try to rationalize spending 50-60K on Audi or BMW and I can't. Just don't have enough money for smaller cars and I need to be slightly under the radar as I use car for work. I also have the benefit of APlan and with rebate I can lease Perf package '14 with Moon, Nav, multi-contour seat for $459 a mnth. This car handles and powers down the road amazing and as much fun as I remember driving an M3. The styling as under stated and large in height but I'm 6'2" and I hate being squeezed. It feels cockpitish inside but that is good thing as you beam around the occasional corner. I wouldn't ever buy Dodge. And the Japanese products in this class are hard to find. New TL is an option but instead or $35 I'll be at $45-48 with less stuff! Lexus more money and less performance. Only option I really see is wait until a new Taurus comes out or maybe they spice up a fusion or buy a used German car. Thoughts? What am I missing out there? I'm in sales so driving Used M5 to customers isn't likely to work well. Plus I'd only get one with quite a few miles on it for $35K Thanks for comment! PS. Darkside Metalic or Tuxedo Black? Thoughts