Ecoboost Owner Forums

How to drain your CAC (Intercooler) with out taking it out.

With the all the talk of hydro lock and blown engines, and no real safe way to empty your CAC without taking it out of the car. Or drilling a drain into the bottom of the CAC. I took it upon myself to figure this one out. I started out with this setup. It did the job but took a while and the lift wasn't the greatest. It's actually an air powered cleaning wand. The list comes from the solution tube, this is the one you would put down the CAC.

13904216156_05a83389be_c.jpgIntaking draining 9 by sho.boat, on Flickr

I then acquired this bad boy.

14072593670_f2fecb77a8_c.jpgAir powered Vac by sho.boat, on Flickr

This is an actual air powered vac. This worked wonders.

So this is how I did it.

First remove the engine cover as it makes it easier to work on.

You will need to remove the intake pipe from the CAC to the throttle body. There are 2 hose clamps holding it in place.

14236138586_a0878a6d6c_c.jpgIntake pipe 2 by sho.boat, on Flickr

14279438663_7cff5cd130_c.jpgIntake pipe 3 by sho.boat, on Flickr

14258884634_fc41acc7a1_c.jpgIntake pipe 1 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Loosen the 2 clamps, remove the noise generator and disconnect the sensor on the tube just before the throttle body. Slide the upper tube off the throttle body and then twist and slide up to remove the bottom portion of the tube. It it doesn't slide off easily loosen the clamps some more.

With the intake tube off you can now check how much crud you have in the CAC, the easiest way is you insert the oil dip sick carefully down into the CAC. So pull it out clean it off and gently stick it in.

14072552169_b0f67805e0_c.jpgDipstick in CAC by sho.boat, on Flickr

Ensure you hit bottom on the CAC then again carefully slide it out and check the level. Here was mine before.

14236076776_bfeb129bf0_c.jpgDipstick before by sho.boat, on Flickr

Hmm not good, seems like I have some crud in there? It feels like oil with lightly less viscosity than what is in the engine. Okay time to get that stuff out of there. With a decent sized compressor and the above mentioned vac, attach a reducer to the inlet, preferably 3/8 clear hose. This was you can monitor your progress. Also it is beneficial to jack up the car slightly on the driver side to get the liquid to pool on the passenger side as this is where we are drawing out the fluid. Carefully slide the hose down into the CAC, ensure that you get right down to the bottom. Once at the bottom begin drawing out the fluid. You should see within a few seconds fluid in the hose. If you don't adjust the hose to ensure that you are on the bottom.

14258826634_579cb8dd0d_c.jpgAir powered Vac 2 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the inside of the CAC, sorry for the poor quality pic. This was the best I could get.

14279379823_9e70ebb898_c.jpgCAC internal by sho.boat, on Flickr

After a few minutes you should see that the hose isn't picking up anything else. Its time to check the level again.

14236077086_5d917f3f80_c.jpgDipstick after by sho.boat, on Flickr

Sweet hardly anything left. If you are like me you will try again just to be safe. Reassemble and remove your jack. Now you can rest assured that your CAC is empty!

You may also want to check this hose to see if you have any oil in it.

14072553079_f00d083d5d_c.jpgHot side rear turbo pipe by sho.boat, on Flickr

I have heard that the EB does have some oil seep out of the turbo seals by design. Too much (whatever that means) would indicate a bad seal, the front turbo is a lot harder to check.

Tracy at RX recommends that you drain the CAC when installing a catch can system. As the transverse EB is a real PITA to get the CAC out of the car, this should at least get the job done of removing the fluid out. I hope this clear, let me know of you guys have any questions.

Greeat photos' date=' how many miles had you driven when you did this drain?[/quote']

About 10K miles. Also I wanted to mention that I used this method due to the unknown nature of the fluid in the CAC. I would strongly discourage the use of an electric vacuum, unless its rated for flammable liquids.