Ecoboost Owner Forums

"Tune only"

SHOnUup

As we all love taking our 4 wheeled land yachts down the 1/4, it seems we all also love the claim of having certain "bests". From tune only, r/t, non-meth, etc, etc, etc. So my question is, what takes you beyond the tune only threshold? Is it the addition of 3bar, springs, e/85? As those don't "bolt on" for added power, they just help already existing power. Any and all comments on your personal opinions here are welcomed and encouraged. Phone doesn't keep these posts in the paragraph form they are typed. Excuse the combined thoughts. Rich

As we all love taking our 4 wheeled land yachts down the 1/4' date=' it seems we all also love the claim of having certain "bests". From tune only, r/t, non-meth, etc, etc, etc. So my question is, what takes you beyond the tune only threshold? Is it the addition of 3bar, springs, e/85? As those don't "bolt on" for added power, they just help already existing power. Any and all comments on your personal opinions here are welcomed and encouraged. Phone doesn't keep these posts in the paragraph form they are typed. Excuse the combined thoughts. Rich [/quote']

1. The thing that takes you past the "tune only" threshold is anything other than a tuner only. If you add anything else, it's not a tune only car.

2. The "bolt on" parts are adding more power. IE a larger, less bent and tuned downpipes actually DO create more power, it's not "existing power". Taking your example of a 3BAR MAP sensor, it allows you to measure, map and apply higher levels of boost. So even there it's not "existing power". You can make 25 lbs of boost and the ECU can't use it, because it can't be measured, mapped or applied so the ECU ignores it. The ECU controls all of the power that is "created". The ECU will ignore whatever input it doesn't think should be there and revert back to factory defaults.

Agree on the downpipe in that they are created for more airflow and earlier spooling of the turbos, something the car could not do regardless of tuning or the such. But on the 3bar, all its doing (mind you I'm still pretty new to this), is allowing you to tap into existing power that is there without changing any of the actual components responsible for creating the power, right? On this note, I thought I read somewhere, at some point, some time ago, that the 3bar tune was using less boost actually (limiting spikes) but over a wider part of the power band? Not to doubt you, just feel it's a debatable topic. Rich

Agree on the downpipe in that they are created for more airflow and earlier spooling of the turbos' date=' something the car could not do regardless of tuning or the such. But on the 3bar, all its doing (mind you I'm still pretty new to this), is allowing you to tap into existing power that is there without changing any of the actual components responsible for creating the power, right? On this note, I thought I read somewhere, at some point, some time ago, that the 3bar tune was using less boost actually (limiting spikes) but over a wider part of the power band? Not to doubt you, just feel it's a debatable topic. Rich [/quote']

Okay, to put the "debate" to bed, all of the "bolt on parts" that we recommend to everyone are all going to add power and/or performance. You can't rely upon second or third hand knowledge (forums) for accurate info on most things. You are much better off doing actual research on your own. Forums are great for GENERAL info, but it is NOT a place to get tech data or knowledge from other CONSUMERS. The "horse's mouth" sort of speak is best. In this case, counter pointing our tech data with third hand knowledge. We have done more testing and data gathering than any consumer could or would ever care to. To kinda play counterpoint with you, your argument about the 3BAR could also be used for a tuner. We are measuring, remapping and applying power that the car is already capable of making. But, you aren't arguing that a tuner uses "existing power".

Agreed on the horses mouth for sure. Being that I have you here, is the above stated 3bar tune comment of what it does accurate? If not, I'd love to hear more. Just for clarity, in no way am I meaning to come off as arguing. Friendly debating is all, in an attempt to check off boxes in my simple minded approach. But as in the tune only theme of the tuning device using what's there, just maximizing it, I thought the 3bar would fall exactly in line with it. Appreciate the responses, and your comments are highly trusted. Rich

Well, LME does have a good point, using a tuner is really the only "Tune Only" upgrade. Anything else is going past the tune only including CAI, 3 bar sensor, and exhaust....whether it adds more power or not, you have went past the tune only stage....so I have to change my opinion and include an aftermarket exhaust is going past the tune only.....I stand corrected!

Agreed on the horses mouth for sure. Being that I have you here' date=' is the above stated 3bar tune comment of what it does accurate? If not, I'd love to hear more. Just for clarity, in no way am I meaning to come off as arguing. Friendly debating is all, in an attempt to check off boxes in my simple minded approach. But as in the tune only theme of the tuning device using what's there, just maximizing it, I thought the 3bar would fall exactly in line with it. Appreciate the responses, and your comments are highly trusted. Rich [/quote']

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors, have two specific responsibilities in the engine management system: measuring barometric pressure at key on, and to report engine load to the powertrain control module. The powertrain control module uses the information for proper air/fuel mixture control under performance driving conditions. For example, a 3 BAR sensor will handle a forced induction up to 29.0+ psi of boost. We use this measuring and reporting to build more powerful and more stable tunes.