Ecoboost Owner Forums

Leaky PTU and observations.

At the beginning of last week I thought I may have an exhaust leak, so I decided to take a good look. While under the car I noticed that the PTU was leaking a bit from the vent. So I took it in and they swapped out the fluid and did the TSB on the vent. What is interesting is that I monitor the PTU temp (mine has liquid cooling) through torque. I started to notice that the temp is effecting much more now. It used to lag way behind the trans temp. I can actually see the temp cool at a light and go up at highway speeds. I am guessing that this was due to the low fluid in the unit. The moral of the story. Check your PTU for leaking. Mine was just in for an oil change about 4 weeks ago and they said nada. The temp gauge has been acting like this since last year, the temp sensor is in the fill hole, I am guessing that if the fluid is down at all it will act like this. So its been down on fluid for a while. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I've been fighting weak AWD performance (front wheels spin out from a dead start, no/minimal power to rear wheels) on my 2013 non-PP SHO. Also a whistling noise from underneath when I accelerate. Had another SHO owner take a look and he saw something leaking from the PTU. Taking it into the dealership next week, I'll report back what they find...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I've been fighting weak AWD performance (front wheels spin out from a dead start, no/minimal power to rear wheels) on my 2013 non-PP SHO. Also a whistling noise from underneath when I accelerate. Had another SHO owner take a look and he saw something leaking from the PTU. Taking it into the dealership next week, I'll report back what they find...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You wouldn't happen to of been at Great Lakes Dragway mid July?

Rich

Yep that was me (blue car). I took it into the dealership and they found internal failures in both the PTU and rear diff. Both replaced free under powertrain warranty, so far so good now (no front wheel slipping). Taking it easy for a few hundred miles but hopefully that takes care of it.