Ecoboost Owner Forums

Splash guards

Has anyone had the Ford/Lincoln splash guards installed on their Taurus/MKS?

I've tried the search and if I totally missed a previous thread, please let me know.

Trying to get a price for a set installed and color matched to my car (Red Candy tint) but dealership body shop isn't sure it can be done.

Thanx.

• 1 month later...

Other than my body shop friends complaining what a PITA it was to prep them...... no. None.

It was explained they had to sand then build up and sand three times, in order to arrive at a smooth surface for painting.

Once they were done with them, I did have the pieces wrapped in 3M Clear Bra paint protection film, and even 3yrs later, they still look good as they did when I put them back on the car.

It was a long, arduous, 2 month process, but worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I kind of figured the prep would be the hard part knowing they have a "rough" texture.

The dealership, which has a "5 Star, world class collision center", first said they can't be painted because of the texture. I said yeah, they probably need to primed and sanded a few times. So then, the guy said they could paint them but it would take a special finish coat because they aren't hard like a fender or door, they're flexible. I said "You mean like this?" as I pushed in on the front bumper cover with my finger!

I have a guy that used to paint here at work that does bodywork and paint on the side that said he can do it.

I figure it can't be impossible. When I had my LS, guys were having their rocker covers color matched all the time.

Yes, it is for sure definitely doable. My car is evidence of that. Not that mine's special because of that, as you pointed out, others with different cars have performed the same mod.

Just understand that to do it properly, and have it last, requires butt loads of prep time.

Seems like you understand that. So I'm positive you'll follow the right path accordingly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...