Ecoboost Owner Forums

HIGH MILEAGE SHO, SHOULD I DO THIS?

my car was a very good deal because of having close to 165,000 miles, but i'm going to my local shop and having them install the range colder plugs for my car that people say are needed to mod my car, the motorcraft SP-534's gapped at 0.30 and they suggested a full fuel injection cleaning system for an extra $200, is this worth it or not? What do u guys think?

Depends...if it is the BG system cleaning, it is worth the $$, my dealer does BG and I have felt is was always worth the cost.  They also did the BG cleaning when I had the PTU, transmission, and rear diff fluids changed.  Will have it done every time I get the fluids changed.  Plus have them do the fuel system about ever 25K.

Depends...if it is the BG system cleaning, it is worth the $$, my dealer does BG and I have felt is was always worth the cost.  They also did the BG cleaning when I had the PTU, transmission, and rear diff fluids changed.  Will have it done every time I get the fluids changed.  Plus have them do the fuel system about ever 25K.

yes, it's the BG system one. So you say that's a go then?

I too feel B&G is generally worth it. It's not snake oil.

Alright, it's official then. U guys are the SHO experts, so i'll pay the extra cash to get it done. The last SHO I had was a 1989 5 speed with the Yamaha Engine and it was fun and quick while on the road, but it was literally the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I think I paid $3500 at the time for it and about 4 months later i spent like $4100 in repairs on that car. Anything that could possibly go wrong on a car went wrong, then I joined the message boards and I guess that was pretty common for those cars. Apparently they are built much much now that the engine is made my Ford.

Keeping the PTU fluid changed every 20-25K is really important, regardless of what Ford or some of the dealers say.  We have found that changing it often sure helps extend the life of the PTU.  If you find a Ford dealer that says it is good for 100K, run don't walk to another dealer.  That is just wrong.  

Keeping the PTU fluid changed every 20-25K is really important, regardless of what Ford or some of the dealers say.  We have found that changing it often sure helps extend the life of the PTU.  If you find a Ford dealer that says it is good for 100K, run don't walk to another dealer.  That is just wrong.  

PTU? Is that part of an oil change?

No, it's the Power Transfer Unit and Ford says the fluid is good for 100K...it is NOT! Most of us change at 20-25K miles. Also officially Ford says the unit must be removed from the car to change the fluid in the 2010-12.  It does not.  The BG dealers can suck the fluid out and then clean the unit through the fill hole and then fill with new fluid.  It would be well worth your time and effort to have it changed if your dealer did not do it.  Since it only holds about 15oz of fluid and transfers all the power, keeping fresh fluid is very important.  Some of the guys that track their cars will change even more often that what I have stated.