Ecoboost Owner Forums

Anyone dealt with the TPMS?

I will be buying aftermarket wheels soon and would like to put a set of tire pressure sensors on them. I'd rather purchase a set on Ebay and attach them to the new wheels than robbing them off the factory wheels. What's involved with recalibrating the sensors?

Have to purchase a TPMS re-set tool... They're also available on Ebay..... You can go to TireRack site and see what they look like... TR's are about twice as expensive as EBay.... Thinking I paid under $30.

What year is your vehicle...? Do you know which style of TPMS sensor you need? Banded types are more expensive than valve stem types. Unfortunately they are not interchangeable..

As EBB suggested, you can find the Ford TPMS reset tool here: --------> http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=170&category=Tire+Pressure+Monitoring+Systems

Below are the .pdf files on the "how-to" use the reset tool, depending on which TPMS sensors one has (Band or Valve)....

[ATTACH]363[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]364[/ATTACH]

Hope that's of some help to you :thumb:

I don't as I purchased it about 2 years ago in ebay.

I ended up getting my TPMS from TireRack, as the tires and wheels were coming mounted. The savings difference would have been wiped out by the re-mount and Road Force Balance. I researched things pretty thoroughly. There are 2-3 different sensor models that are used by Ford, in the stock setup. The Ford bands cannot be re-used as they have a permanent clip that holds bands on, and gets destroyed when you take sensors off. Aftermarket bands are basically a big S.S. "hose" clamp that is adjustable and can be re-used. So... if you want the cheapest way out, you can just by the bands. Another option to make absolutely sure of the correct model TPMS, would be to pull one wheel and take off tire to check. Another option would be to check with TASCA Parts (Ford dealer who sells discount parts) or your local dealer to find part # and get a price comparison, before searching EBAY.

Maybe someone else will chime in with the correct sensor # for the 2010.

Great help. Thanks.. I just stopped by my local Ken Towery's and they said 35.00 to reset the sensors, so I'll go that route.

One other question I have.

The factory 20" wheels were swapped out with the 19" before we purchased it (hence the sensor trouble)....Will this affect the mileage calculator in the car? Assuming that the overall diameters are the same.

• 5 weeks later...

OK guys, I need some help here. Its a bit of a story so, bear with me.... My wife and I purchased a 2010 SHO and had it delivered to us from the lot (out of state). The car shows up with 19" rims from another SHO....Car lot gives me a story about ruining the finish of the 20's while cleaning them. They sent us reimbursement for the difference, so that was settled. Now the issue.....The wheels they put on the car were off a later model SHO and the wheels had stem sensors which from my understanding on the 2010's...needs the band sensors.

I have since put aftermarket wheels on the car and installed band sensors. I've had the car to Goodyear and Ken Towery's to reset the sensors. Both tell me that the sensors are working but they cannot get the car to communicate with them. Currently the car is at the dealer for some small electrical issues, so I had them look into the issue with the TPMS. They are telling me that the band sensors are incorrect and it needs stem sensors?? I have both........I just need to know what the correct sensors are (band or stem)....and what may be causing the miscommunication between the car and sensors? Any input would be appreciated.

Were the stem sensors working in the 19" wheels you received with the 2010 SHO? It normally takes 20-30 mi of driving for the sensors to trigger the TPMS light.

Recently, I left FL with my aftermarket wheels on, but had forgot to reset sensors. Took 30 mi and BONG and light shows flashing... 5 miles later, it just stayed steady. At next rest stop visit for potty break, I spent about 1 minute re-setting them. Viola... no more issues. A week ago, I got new tires on a different set of aftermarket wheels, in which we installed band sensors I purchased on ebay for $130 for 4. I re-set at tire dealer with no issues.

In 2010, I talked with a Schrader Valve rep via e-mail about switching over to their 315 mhs stem TPMS, that was going into the 2011. He told me that the system works the same and with the same Ford TPMS controller. However, Ford has changed the TPMS message accepted to the opposite of the Siemens band TPMS sensors (+1 or -1) so you can't use the latter with the former controller settings. He said it was possible for Ford to change that coding, but that to his knowledge, Ford Dealers couldn't. Perhaps they can now... I would talk to the Selling Dealer and find out if they somehow were able to do this.

There are different types of band sensors used in Ford wheels. Also make sure you purchased the correct ones for 2010, if the 2011 sensors weren't working after purchasing the vehicle.

Also... when I searched ebay to get another set of 2010 sensors, I saw several places that showed valve sensors for the 2010. I contacted one that showed them for my vehicle, and their answer was that they didn't work after all. So I went with the band sensors, which fortunately worked.

Stem sensors did not work..... You are correct about the 30 minutes though. We had taken delivery of the car and drove it home. Later that night we took it out to eat and after about 20min of driving the light popped on. I guess at this point, I need to double check that I purchased the correct band sensors.

Dealer just called. They had to replace some kind of "smart box"?? Had to do with some of the interior lights, puddle lamps and a few other electrical gremlins that I was having. He said that once the box was installed and reprogrammed that the TPMS light went off.....not sure if the box played a roll or if it was just coincidence. Anyhow, its off for now, so I'll cross my fingers.

Mike, believe you have a 2010... so I would get the ones I just purchased... you can see the seller's ebay store above. They were $139.99 shipped. They actually reset quicker than the stock ones, or the TireRack ones in my other wheels. (a few seconds a wheel quicker). As soon as I get the TPMS set to reset, (it honks), it has worked every time - at least 6 times in last yr.

The valve stem ones are easier to install, and usually are slightly cheaper, but you'll have to ask Darrell if he can go back and forth, using the valve stem ones. Biggest issue with banded types is the time it takes to shrink the band down to fit the wheel, and then cut off the excess. With my 18"s, it took them about 15 min ea to get them mounted to the wheel before mounting tire!

Drove it for about 45 minutes after picking it up and NO light....Yahtzee!!! (So Far) LOL. I also bought my band sensors off ebay, but the huge hose clamps sucked. I didn't have any good luck with those. I had some huge zip ties and used those and I actually liked those better. I could run them thru the mounting bracket like factory.

Drove it for about 45 minutes after picking it up and NO light....Yahtzee!!! (So Far) LOL. I also bought my band sensors off ebay' date=' but the huge hose clamps sucked. I didn't have any good luck with those. I had some huge zip ties and used those and I actually liked those better. I could run them thru the mounting bracket like factory.[/quote']

If your tires go out of balance, it will be due to those zip ties.... Unless you glued the mounting bracket in place.... supposed to be 180 deg from valve stem, with the hose clamp lock at valve stem (when you use hose clamp).

Brackets are stuck in place with the 3M tape as factory and mounted 180 from the stem. As for the zip ties...I trust them 100% more than I did those cheap hose clamps. I could barley put any tension on them and they would strip or skip teeth. I just didn't feel comfortable that they would stay on. The zip ties were 3/8" wide or so...pretty stout pieces, so I'm confident they'll be OK. If the tires ever get out of balance...absoulutely that will be my first guess.

• 6 months later...

2010 TPMS sensors were of the banded style, thus the reason for the increased costs.

That $80 is also just for the sensor itself, and does NOT include the bands that would need to be purchased in conjunction with the sensors.

Really, really late in the 2010 build/production, FMC switched over to the valve style sensors and have been running with those since.

Thus the reason for the cheaper price points you mention for the 2012 model year.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a high jack.... So Once I get the new rims mounted with sensors I will need to get them programed. Got it. Now what if I want to run different preasures for everyday drives and more.... agressive days. Will I need to use the remote fob tool for that? Or do you just need the tool for when you swap tires?

Anyone have issues with nitrogen filled and these tpms?

Archived