Ecoboost Owner Forums

Speaker System Comparison

The THX II system in the MKS is far superior to my past BOSE GM systems. Not being a jerk' date=' but I have driven 2010 SHOs, and just drove a new 2013 last Friday, and the sound system is definitely not as crisp as the MKS. I know that may have something to do with extra insulation and sound deadening glass (don't know if the SHO has this) , but maybe the MKS OEM THX II can be put in the SHO? I seem to recall it is rated somehwere around 600-700 watts. Just my subjective perception, but I have not heard an SHO systen as clear as my MKS.[/quote']

I completely agree. I have the sony in my 2013 SHO, and its good, but the THX is far superior. I wonder if we can switch out the speakers and amp?

I used to have an MKZ with the THX, and its the best stock audio I've ever heard in a car. I owned a 530xi after that, and the Harmon Kardon in the 5-series was great, but not as good as the THX. It hits really hard, with zero distortion even at ridiculous volumes.

I have a 2013 with the Sony system and I am honestly not a big fan. My biggest gripe is that I feel the midbass is too prominent. The overall sound is too "boomy" and not tight. Maybe an aftermarket sub would help.

I have to agree its ok but even my Focus had a factory sub in the trunk. That wasnt great either but I had a bigger expectation for this one. Sound upgrade isnt even on my radar of things to do but the for the cost and trunkspace a nice sub would have been good.

Alot of the problem is with the bass roll off of the factory headunit. It saves the speakers so you wont have to worry about blowing them.

Look at it this way. You will complain about not enough bass, But you will cry if you blew a speaker.

I would agree with how big the trunk is, It wouldnt have been nice for Ford to put in a sub like the one from the Mustang.

So I put in a aftermarket amp and sub in my car. But thankfully it has a huge trunk and I do not care about the loss of space. Which is right behind the backseat. I dont store anything up there any way. Ive never need to pack anything up that far.

Im just waiting for my AudioControl LC2i to come it to get rid of the roll off. (using a non powered LOC right now)

• 3 weeks later...
So I'm curious. I have a friend that got a new Nissan Altima that has a Bose system. It sounds really good and I feel like it has an 8" sub or something because it hits pretty hard.

It got me thinking. How would the upgraded Sony audio system in the Taurus compare?

Also, how does the standard audio in the Taurus compare to the upgraded Sony system?

I don't have the upgraded audio in my 2013 SHO because I went with the PP instead. I really wanted the upgraded audio but didn't want to pay 3k for it. Is it a huge difference? And is the Sony comparable to other vehicles' Bose systems? I just want to see how my stock system compares.

My 2012 is an option-less base model SHO with the standard audio system, and the lack of the Sony was the only option other than NAV that I was really wondering if I'd have buyer remorse from not having. I will say that, after playing some high quality source material via USB sync, the system is decent other than missing the low frequency material (no real bass to speak of) and distorting below the db level I like when playing my tunes loud. I did listen to the Sony system on a couple used SHO's test driven before deciding to get a new 2012 instead, and while I think it was better than my base rig, was not even close to the top level option Harman Kardon system in my (wife's) 2012 SRT8 Challenger. That system is just amazing--reference is the word that comes to mind.

I'm thinking just adding a sub to the base system may do the trick, just living with the volume limitations of the factory system. I put a Blaupunkt THb 200a low profile powered sub scored from Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rnIhAf9X4ao/p_023THB200A/Blaupunkt-THb-200A.html?tab=review#customer-reviews-tab) under the seat in my Silverado and it worked pretty good--anybody try a solution like this with the base SHO audio system?

Has anybody just replaced some the factory speakers in the base system as an upgrade?

• 2 months later...

In defense of the Sony system in my 2010 SHO which has the Nav and the glass I have to say I thinks it's a damn good system. It could be better, that's true but FWIW I have the "LockPick" which allows me to see the DVD while driving and "I" think that a lot of the problem here is the source itself. I had 2 other friends in the car and I put on a DVD of the Crossroads concert from 07 here in Chicago and I swear we got our heads blown off with BIG SOUND clean and clear. My friends were SHOCKED because the 2 songs I played sounded sssoooo good. ( Los Lobos & John Meyer ) it killed, and of course when I hit the gas at 55MPH and that BIG BITCH took off like a bat outta hell they were equally impressed. They don't know about Livernois......and they don't have to. I like it in STEREO more so than SURROUND but I have to say that when I travel and let a movie run, it's just as good as my living room what with sound effects and all. The last movie I used was "Collateral" with Tom Cruise. The gunshots were AWESOME!

Archived