Ecoboost Owner Forums

I've been trying to do my homework on oil brands but I've been finding a lot of conflicting studies that seem to suspiciously support one brand over all the others...but they all disagree. I see some of you use Royal Purple, some love Amsoil. I've been using Castrol (because of a study) only to learn that it's not really a man made synthetic and should probably be sold cheaper because of that. So now I'm looking for a new synthetic oil to put my faith in. I'd really like to make my decision based on some facts rather than emotion or here say. Any one have some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get a million opinions on oil, everyone here has one. I use Royal Purple in my SHO, but I honestly think it is more about doing regular oil and filter changes then brand. We have discussed (and beat) this dead horse:deadhorse: a lot. Again, everyone has a different opinion on oil change intervals, but it boils down to the only scientific way to figure your oil's life is to have an analysis done. Really, since it isn't that expensive, I would suggest doing whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

That being said, I use Mobil One in our Explorer and have had no oil problems with it, but I use Castrol High Mileage in our Sable and I am very pleased with it. I use Castrol because of their support of drag racing. However, when I was getting free oil changes at the dealer in the SHO, they were using Motorcraft, but since I am now doing the changes I use Royal Purple and RP filters. I am pretty impressed at this point with Royal Purple and have seen a slight increase in mileage since putting it in the SHO. Not a big increase, but probably averaging about .4 mpg more with the RP.

I remembered HP TV getting 8 hp from RP. Just found it and they cheated a little... They ran 10-30 conventional, then 5W-30 RP and made 8hp.

My personal opinion is that RP is the best out there. Amsoil is pretty dang good as well..... I am running Castrol Edge because of their die cast giveaway with a 5qt (think it is over now). But will switch back to RP in the fall. I run regular Castrol in the wifes Escape.

I use German Castrol (0w30). It's fully synthetic and says made in Germany on the back.

I wonder if the German product is based on a synthetic base. I read the charge that Castrol is using a natural base, adding all the synthetic tweaks then calling it synthetic. The other synthetic brands objected since the synthetic base is more expensive than the natural.

I wonder if the German product is based on a synthetic base. I read the charge that Castrol is using a natural base, adding all the synthetic tweaks then calling it synthetic. The other synthetic brands objected since the synthetic base is more expensive than the natural.

That is true for every other weight offered in their synthetic line. The 0w30 has to meet European specifications in order to be called a true synthetic and is made from PAO/esters, not the Group III HC petroleum...

That is true for every other weight offered in their synthetic line. The 0w30 has to meet European specifications in order to be called a true synthetic and is made from PAO/esters' date=' not the Group III HC petroleum...[/quote']

My understanding of the numbers would lead me to believe that the 0 W 30 would exceed the performance of the 5 W 20 in both cold and in heat so I would love that. My dealer however is willing to use oil I supply as long as the numbers adhere to owners manual specs. I will check with them and see. If they don't approve I'll switch to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Thanks to all for the input.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived