Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission stuck in 2nd or 3rd

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since an update. 2 months, still no car. The PCM did get replaced under warranty and the transmission is now on teardown #4. So the dealer wanted to save money by rebuilding in leiu of replacement. Well, all the parts they needed to replace the broken stuff, parts needed to make adjustments each time it didn't shift properly and a rental at $30/day for 60 days, waiting on backorders....they could have bought 2 new transmissions. I have picked up the car twice since initially getting it serviced.

Round 1 pickup lasted about 1/2 a mile at the gas station where there was a significant click coming from the steering. Turned right back around and said fix it. Solution=loose bolt on the rack assembly. SAFETY issue!

Round 2 pickup lasted 3 days only because at 545pm on friday I got the car, turned in the rental and 558pm noticed a noise coming from drivetrain (similar to a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel), service dept closes at 600pm. So I had the whole weekend to drive the heck out of it.

Results:

The noise is prevalant mostly when engine is not loaded (off the gas). On throttle is hardly noticeable, steady speed barely noted. Let off gas, noise

Something rattling under the plastic cowl area can be heard in cabin

Severe hood vibration at highway speeds

Sluggish normal takeoff from a stop, kinda creaks as if power-braking

Something occasionally happens to power loading during steady speed which causes the AC to briefly blow hot (similar to WOT and AC cycles off)

Rained on the way home, wipers don't get all water, i.e. driver side only wiped the upper half of windshield. Both arms sweep proper, strange

Solutions:

Wiper arms were swapped after changing out the PCM. SAFETY issue!

I believe hood shake was due air turbulance. The chin skirt connected to front air dam was not clipped to lower radiator support, because fasteners were NOT there

They probably won't find that loose screw in the cowl...

Who knows why the tranny makes that noise. Its at all speeds/gears, drive or manual

My wife (cuz she has more time and access to a phone during working hours) has contacted Regional Ford for a claim on this situation. We explained it all and requested 2 months of car payment reimbursement and to pay the difference of trade-in value.

I plan to get rid of this nightmare but owe about 28k and might get 22k on trade. If the trans hadn't failed, I would keep the car. Love it, but feel as I am being forced to get rid of it like a running back with a blown knee. They called us back saying that they will continue talking to the dealer about repairs and keep sinking money into the car. They will NOT give us payment back because we accepted the dealer offer of a rental. Had we declined the rental, then Ford would say, "since you didn't want a rental then why should we pay you" - thats what I would expect at this point. We got a rental that is nowhere near the quality/quantity of my car because they don't have much more than a PT Loser. Ford said they would not assist in the trade difference either because they would never call my car as a "loss".

I want to fight them so bad, but I am running out of options and time. Any suggestions?

look into the lemon law. Or give another dealer your business. Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time getting this fixed. But when they don't even assemble the car correctly with the nuts and bolts and fastener gives me serious doubt about there competency. There just no excuse for 2 months for this type of repair. But if you want out hire a attorney.

the dealer doesnt decide on how to repair based on whats cheaper for them.... ford requires that dealers perform a costcap analysis to determine if its cheaper to repair or replace the trans. this info is submitted to ford then they decide on which route the dealer takes. if this instruction is not followed the dealer is not paid for the warranty claim. i know this because im a full time ford transmission tech.... im not sure what happened with your car but it sounds like a real mess....

Very true. I may have worded it as if the dealer is at fault for not making the proper decisions. They did do the cost estimate and that is how I have a rebuild instead of replace. But Ford should also listen to what the dealer's involvement is going to be. If the trans looked like it was thrown into park at 70mph (thats how they described initial damage, lol) and dealer recommend a replacement, Ford should say well its only $$ difference vs. time and troubleshooting with rental fees (which is $$). Oh well, still warranty.

Update as of Tuesday (now its Friday with no word yet):

Dropped it off the Tuesday before, had a tech ride with to listen to the noise during deceleration. Obvious, he heard it before I explained it but he couldn't describe it. A week later, the dealer tells me that a field engineer took it for a test drive on Monday and told the techs what he thought. Whaddya guess? Now they have to replace the PTU...which should have been done yesterday/today. No word yet, but they still have 3 hours left in the day.

• 2 months later...

This never was fully resolved. It yielded more trips back to dealer and lots of rental car usage. I dropped it off not long after the last post, probably 4-6 days. After 2 weeks of no contact, I informed them of me being deployed for 2 weeks, back for Thanksgiving and gone for another week to stay in Virginia. This was the Monday before I was to begin my adventures and they told me the technicican was out sick for a few days - but what about the other 10 days. I told them they have until Wednesday to get my car back to me or they will be paying for a rental for minimum of 3 weeks. Behold, Wed I get a call saying car is ready. How, in 2 days, did they get a resolution that they've had for 2 weeks? Must suck paying for a rental for nearly the 3 months this issue has been going on.

Anyways, they tell me they replaced the intermediate bearing (WTF that really means) and the "playing card in bike spokes" noise continued. Even the field engineer had no clue. Then they discovered that either a piece of bearing race or sleeve was jammed in a nook and ticking on deceleration.

After the bodunk info they tossed at me, I took a look at my car that has been posted in their shop for over 2 months, still dusty/dirty and discovered more flaws. A dent in the driver fender near the hood seam, deep chunk in driver front wheel and scratch from passenger fender into the headlamp assembly. "Oh we'll see if the 'dent man' can get that out otherwise we'll take it to the body shop. The wheel, impossible it's our fault" F-you guys, you have to take that wheel off to service the trans. Stupid asses.

So I test drove the car and all seemed well...until the next morning when I was supposed to deploy...

Instead of going to work, I go to dealer and bitch hard. "I find it hard to believe the noise is back" Why the f would I waste my time coming to service then. Of course the ride with service, they couldn't hear it.

So for the 2-4 weeks than I was on/off gone, dealer piddled around their concerns with the dent and trans. Playing phone tag with my wife but never actually following up on anything. Not to mention the deal they were trying to make with regional Ford to at least get me the ESP. Of course the 'dent man' was on vacation when asked (really? for all 3 weeks?). I said you will replace the fender before you repair it.

All in all, nothing was ever resolved, mostly due to my unaccompanied relocation to Norfolk, Va.

So I came back to GA to see my wife and kids after Xmas and got the low down on nothing other than phone tag from the dealer. 1 of 2 things was about to happen. Either they meet my demands on a new car with trade on SHO or it was about to be lawyer time. Luckily, they found me a car. Not exactly what I wanted but Im not color biased and needed to get this deal done in my 2 week visit. So now, that same dealership has my problem SHO (trans, blend door, tires, scratches/dents, cracked windshield, and family/baby wear/tear). I had to take a negative hit on the trade but dealed my way through that.

Set I will deal on a $30.5k 2013 Focus ST3 package out the door for under 35k. They tried once at 38.5k due to 20k trade on a 27k owed SHO. Nope, 35k, I will go back to the other dealers that have offered 22.5k on trade. Came back to shake my hand "35k?" Hell yeah, take this headache from me.

I did my research, knew what I wanted, all prices/availability and dealer salesman typically don't know shit, I ran the sale. So now I have lower payments, less time owed, more MPG and a real manual transmission! Gonna miss the AC seats though.

Thanks for listening

P.s. I know, 35k for a Focus is ridiculous...considering all, its not that bad. The ST is a great under-deal as is anyhow

• 4 months later...
So what was the outcome? Mine is a 2013 sho. Similar symptoms. .Left me stranded today at only 1600 miles . Some type of oil all over the under carriage and back of car. Awaiting dealer call......./QUOTE]

The OP's car was eventually fixed, I don't recall if any details where offered as what actually failed. I know they had to rebuild the trans.

Archived