Ecoboost Owner Forums

Leather on Driver's Seat

So I'm having a problem with my leather staying on where it snaps onto the frame. It's happening on the front of the seat where my legs are. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Here are a few pics.

This is what it looks like normally

[ATTACH]934[/ATTACH]

This is what it looks like when it comes detached

[ATTACH]935[/ATTACH]

This is the plastic piece that's sewn on to the leather and clips to the frame.

[ATTACH]936[/ATTACH]

I wasn't too worried about it at first because it's easy to re-attach, but it came detached pretty fast again. This made me afraid that it's going to get loose or ruin something.

Has anyone had this problem and/or help me out? I'm not sure if some simple super glue can help or if that'd be bad.

Thanks in advance!

post-464-14253229459_thumb.jpg

post-464-142532294592_thumb.jpg

post-464-142532294594_thumb.jpg

From your pics I can't tell for sure but if the plastic snaps onto a wire bar, a good cure would be snap it back into place and then put a "hog ring" into each end of the plastic locking it into place. The ring would go through the plastic and around the bar. Hog rings and cheap throw away pliers used to squeeze them shut are usually given away with with install it yourself seat covers. Sometimes the factory uses this trick themselves to secure problem plastic clips. The front of the bucket can be such a problem area. I have had no problem with mine but over the years I have seen it many times with various manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I was hoping someone would understand what my problem was. I had never seen this happen before and it's kind of a tough spot to take pictures and explain what's going on.

I'll have to get in there and figure out what the plastic clips are actually snapping to.

Thanks again for your help.

I am having the same problem with my 2011 SHO. I brought it to the dealer to have that and the peeling chrome on the tail lights repaired. The service writer said that they had another customer with the same seat complaint and all they had to do was "properly" re-insert the plastic clip into the seat. I told him that I had already tried that and it seamed to fit right but a day later it was out again. I am waiting for a loaner to become available so I can have the repairs done.

I had this problem on the side bolster of a former '93 SHO. In that location it was very obvious when it was detached. After several attempts of what I thought was the proper way to reattach which proved to be temporary, I had my dad take a look at it. I'm not completely sure what he did differently, but it appeared that he snapped it in to a groove once it was hooked. I think I was wrapping it just fine, but not snapping it in place once wrapped. It never came apart again for me so I didn't get to try out his technique.

I've since taken the seat cushion apart on a former Mountaineer to repair the seat heater element and both cushions off a seat for my wife's Lincoln MKT which both used this style of plastic hook mechanism (no hog rings) and they do seem to clip in place once mostly seated, if that makes any sense. Basically tuck and roll to get the clip in place, then pull down to snap the clip in place.

-Rod

I had this same issue on one of the rear headrests of my F150 King Ranch. There was a way to hook it back into place, but i never managed to get it to work and it wasn't noticeable unless you pulled the headrest completely off the seat. I don't know much about upholstery, but I wonder if there isn't a tool they use to hook it in place?

I have a lot of upholstery experience. These plastic strips or channels usually have a final barb that is meant to act as a lock. The idea is that you line the parts up and slide them into place and then give a final extra push or tug to get the parts to fully mate past the barb. Sometimes like on a seat cushion where the driver weight can be trying to dislodge the two parts, if they have not been fully mated (barb engaged) the getting in and out can separate the parts. Pushing the parts together firmly enough to feel the barb snap into place is usually enough but as I suggested earlier, in some instances after snapping firmly into place a few hog rings can provide a solid lock just for insurance. I have found the factory to have done exactly that on many occasions.

Ok I went and checked mine and a lot of what I said before was good enough in general but in this case specifically for our cars it does not apply. Here's what does. The metal seat pan has a vertical side and the upholstery has a plastic clip sewn to its lower edge. The upholstery needs to be rolled over so the open side of the clip is facing up. It should then be positioned over the metal edge of the seat pan and pulled up. If not centered it's possible to get the metal edge to go between the upholstery and one side of the clip. It might stay there for a while but it's not really fastened that way. It's critical to center the open end of the clip over the pan edge so the metal edge has plastic clip on both sides. Easy to say but actually it can be tricky to get it right. The plastic clip has to straddle the edge of the pan. At least then you have a good shot at keeping it in it's place. You can fix this yourself. Good luck

Archived