Ecoboost Owner Forums

Anyone make a CAI similar to the Hennessey one?

I like the hennessey one as it gets rid of the crazy split with the 180 for the front turbo...plus the reduced restriction from using thin aluminum instead of the thick plastic. The Hennessey one is now $2300...how they ever sell any of those, I have no clue.

Here's my thought on the pieces.

Simple dual 2.25" filter

For the front turbo: 90 deg facing down with a 90 deg reducer to the turbo (2.25" to 2.0").

Rear turbo is a little more tricky: 90 deg back, 45 to bring it down, 90 degree to bring it back to the turbo and a 45 reducer (2.25 to 2.0) Although I believe the stock rubber tube in the back is actually of the same size, so that may save a few bucks. May have to add another 45 just to get it around the brakes and transmission.

I have some sheet aluminum to make a heat shield and some weather stripping to seal it to the hood. Probably just going to block it off from the engine bay and right in front of the battery so it's still open to the area behind the headlight and the left fender.

I know that I will need a few 1" tubes welded on for the BPV's and maybe a couple of smaller (3/8" or so) ones for whatever else.

Price wise, I'm looking at the K&N RD-4400 for $67 on Summit (probably get it cheaper, just a starting point) and then all the tubes and connectors/clamps will be about $110, minus $18 if the rear turbo connector works. Add in say $50 for welding, and for less than $250, I have a system equivalent (probably better, looking at Hennessey's terrible reduction technique) to Hennessey's $2300 setup...1/10th the price...really? I'm planning to do this next month and will post some pics when I get done, and the progress.

So... You will be using rubber hose primarily? Assuming the bends will be either pvc or metal. Will you flare them to smooth air flow?

Getting rid of that split (thinggie..) should be a great asset!

Also wondering if there is any cheap plastic piping that could be cut and fit, that would be resistant to the heat from the engine?

I want to make a couple, we'll see. I'm making the box template out of cardboard so I can make more pretty easily.

The actual tubing is going to be aluminum with silicone connectors. The reducers will be silicone, shouldn't have any collapsing issues with the increase in volume. The transition will be very smooth. If you look at the Hennessy one, it's quite drastic, doesn't look as if it flows well. It also cuts down to 2" pretty far in front of the turbo. The transitions I plan to use are right in front of the turbo. As for the heat, I'm thinking about just wrapping the tubes. Front one isn't a big deal as it's about 18" long total at most, the rear will be the heat problem.

Filter will be here on wednesday. I'll order the rest by the end of the week, hopefully have it put in the weekend after Labor Day weekend.

I ordered all the pieces. I have to find someone to weld the thin aluminum. Only "problem" now is I may get cleared to fly again (big surprise to me) and will get thrown back into training, so I may get a couple sets made, then won't have time to actually get any more until I move to CA. I'll post pics when I finally get everything. I'm going with 2.75" (70mm) tubing instead of 2.25". This will give volume needed for those that plan to upgrade the turbos. Cost is the same, so why not.

I ordered all the pieces. I have to find someone to weld the thin aluminum. Only "problem" now is I may get cleared to fly again (big surprise to me) and will get thrown back into training' date=' so I may get a couple sets made, then won't have time to actually get any more until I move to CA. I'll post pics when I finally get everything. I'm going with 2.75" (70mm) tubing instead of 2.25". This will give volume needed for those that plan to upgrade the turbos. Cost is the same, so why not.[/quote']

Sounds like it comming along good and you have a great idea of what you want it to look like!!! cant wait to see the finished product!! Pls put me down for one!!!!!

Thanks and keep ut the good work!!!

Started getting some of the parts. Waiting on the filter to actually make the box...have some sheet aluminum for that. This will give you an idea of what the transition will look like from 2.75"-2.0". The 1" blue 90s are for those that don't want to cut their bypass hose in the front to switch back to stock if need be. The 90 deg reducer is for the front and the 45 is for the rear.

100_0174.jpg

Just as an FYI, I am about to get medically cleared to fly again, so I may not have time to actually do this until way later, maybe not until next year. This is why I did not attempt to take anyone's money. I'll update as I make progress. I'm still waiting on the filter and the actual metal tubes, so that may take a little bit. When I get a long weekend to myself I'll probably rip the car apart as it is my only working vehicle.

Just as an FYI' date=' I am about to get medically cleared to fly again, so I may not have time to actually do this until way later, maybe not until next year. This is why I did not attempt to take anyone's money. I'll update as I make progress. I'm still waiting on the filter and the actual metal tubes, so that may take a little bit. When I get a long weekend to myself I'll probably rip the car apart as it is my only working vehicle.[/quote']

Awesome Man.. Hope everything comes together for you and you get cleared to fly.. Keep us all in the loop as this project continues!!!!

Still waiting on the actual AL tubes to show up. I have enough to make 2 sets initially. One for me (to copy when I get out to CA) and one for first-SHO to help him into the 11's. I would feel quite proud to help with that. I will let everyone know when I will have more available. I'm going to try and do a couple runs at the drag strip with the stock and switch out to this setup to get a pretty decent comparison. Anyway, I'll update as I make progress.

Thanks for the regards shomeda$.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the tubes a little while ago, just never had time to really do anything. I took the intake setup apart and made a mock-up of the air box. I'll see if I can have copies done in fiberglass or carbon fiber. Anyway, after removing everything I realized the rear turbo will have to keep the stock s-shaped inlet tube, so that may be a little more restrictive than I hoped. The inside of the oem tube is smooth though. I still have to find someone to weld this aluminum tubing so there can be provisions for the bypass valves and those vacuum/pressure ports (1x 3/8" and 1x 1/4").

100_0197.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0195.jpg

here's the stock S-shaped tube that will be very hard to replicate with a larger tube.

100_0198.jpg

Archived