Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Headlight removal?

Does anyone know whats involved in the headlight assembly removal? I want to swap out my stock 4130k HID bulbs for DDM Tuning 6000K. I had a credt on file with them, so I ordered the replacements. I don't like the stock lights at the lower tempature.

If it's anything like the '10-'12 models (which looking at the similarities, I'm sure it's the same) but you'll have to remove the entire front bumper clip inr order to just get to the head assemblies themselves.

Once the bumper is removed, each assembly is bolted to the front frame / core support with either 3, or 4 bolts.

There are as few good pictures of what the front end looks like by checking on some of the "How-To's" on either the bumper removal, or on the various meth kit installs.

Good luck! :thumb:

So I got my DDM bulbs in today, and went out to check this situation out. You can maybe get the bulbs swapped but my wrists are all tore up from the tight space. Slight twist frees them from the housing but the plug is in the way. I cant remove the bulbs straight out the back because the bulb plug hits the edge and its metal with a little metal down the wire for 1/4". I was thinking of reaching in with pliers to pull the plug out, but the problem is when I install the bulbs back how am I going to get them back in and plugged back. It requires more thinking, afterall we only have to be 10% smarter then the equipment! Removing the stock headlight assembly will make it easy but that is alot of effort. Its not needed once the plug situation is overcome. Believe me the 6k bulbs are worth this effort. For now, I have to go install 4 H7's in my GFs Audi, the order from DDM was for her I tagged in my bulbs since DDM takes 2 weeks. Anyone that has sucessfully replaced D3S HIDs feel free to chime in about getting that plug out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. I just did my bulbs tonight on my 2012. Reach in and pull the boot, untwist the bulb, remove from housing with the plug on it. Now remove the plug, install new bulb onto plug. Slide the bulb back into the housing and twist, reinstall the boot and bobs your uncle it's done. 5minutes per side, this includes cleaning the new bulb with some alcohol.

O.K. I just did my bulbs tonight on my 2012. Reach in and pull the boot' date=' untwist the bulb, remove from housing with the plug on it. Now remove the plug, install new bulb onto plug. Slide the bulb back into the housing and twist, reinstall the boot and bobs your uncle it's done. 5minutes per side, this includes cleaning the new bulb with some alcohol.[/quote']

I am going to check this out again over lunch. My harness hits the plastic headlight housing and I couldnt get the bulb out this way. My hands were all cut up from different angles. I am not giving up I want new bulbs in there lol!

Half hour with no luck. My wiring harness is so tight that I cannot manipulate the bulbs out at all. :Cry:

Archived