Ecoboost Owner Forums

E15 Fuel?

Watts

I just got a postcard in the mail that our local CO-OP is now selling E15 fuel. We have 89 and 91 octane E10 available at all stations locally. E15 is advertised as being 98 octane.

I don't own an SHO (yet) so this is just a general question/discussion. Would this be ok to use in an SHO? My research says all newer cars 2001 and newer are ok to use E15. How about with a livernois tune?

I just got a postcard in the mail that our local CO-OP is now selling E15 fuel. We have 89 and 91 octane E10 available at all stations locally. E15 is advertised as being 98 octane.

I don't own an SHO (yet) so this is just a general question/discussion. Would this be ok to use in an SHO? My research says all newer cars 2001 and newer are ok to use E15. How about with a livernois tune?

Based on the sticker on the fuel fill inlet the answer is NO..but I will let more knowledgeable folks speak up :)

Ethanol definitely has a higher octane rating but you need to use more of it to keep everything happy...It can also start to corrode parts if they aren't specifically designed for it. That said I'd be kind of shocked if our fuel system couldn't handle it in this day and age. MNy 2004 GP could handle it even though it wasn't "flex fuel" . I would think one of the tuners could actually make an E15 tune by adjusting the injector flow rate (assuming the pump can keep up with the volume increase) and make some nice power. Lots of other cars are running E85 (even ones that weren't originally designed for it) as long as they have access to tuning.

I posted the same question on here a while back and got mixed responses. According to government all cars can use it and that is probably true. Our cars use direct injection at high pressure... My only fear would be fuel supply in a tuned car. If it starts popping up in Michigan maybe we can get Livernois to do some testing :)

I had asked Rick about using E85 or even a 50/50 blend (BMW and Cobalt SS guys do this all the time) but he said that they weren't fond of it's inconsistencies. I struggle with that since so many other platforms do use it and have incredible success with it. Still, I trust Rick, Dan, and all of those guys to do what's right to keep the cars safe. I personally run E10 93 octane with Stage 4+ and per Rick that's perfectly safe (and I never had any issues even in 105 degree heat).

I'm sure the fuel system could keep up with at least E15 especially if it was tuned for it. You said it was listed as 98 octane though. At the very least I bet they could do nice things with the timing if that's the case!

Archived