Ecoboost Owner Forums

Turbo Boost

I was asking because I just read that LMS 4 adds 2.5-3 PSI (posted by Rick a few years back on a now dead forum before the 4+ tune). So, I was kind of trying to figure out the base line and see, percentage wise, how much the boost increases. I understand Ford's rationale re: limited wear on engines, but still find it hard to believe our engines have so much untapped potential released with our tunes! Man I love my "post-tuned" Ecoboost......

I recently learned (while on my tour of the Chicago Assembly Plant) that the reason why FORD detuned these EcoBoost engines SO MUCH, was entirely due to insurance industry regulations and/or pressures from same.

Apparently, FMC would've had an incredible uphill battle trying to market the Taurus SHO as a true family sedan if it allegedly exceeded 400HP.

I heard specifically that the original intentions of the SHO trim level was to produce / market them at around 415 crank hp.

The current, 365 crank hp rating was a "compromise" between FMC and the regulator's of various major insurance bureau's.

I also confirmed that these EcoBoost motors, as currently designed, handled just over 700 crank hp, before "issues" began popping up as it relates to drivetrain, etc.

So yes TSS, Crash712us is correct and accurate in his reply post to you.

I heard specifically that the original intentions of the SHO trim level was to produce / market them at around 415 crank hp.

The current, 365 crank hp rating was a "compromise" between FMC and the regulator's of various major insurance bureau's.

I also confirmed that these EcoBoost motors, as currently designed, handled just over 700 crank hp, before "issues" began popping up

Interesting stuff. Any one know if there has ever been a consensus as to what crank HP the 4+ tune is developing? I think I remember Hennessy was touting their package at something like 430 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good information. So it sounds like perhaps boost is increased 30 percent or so, sound right? Also, Rick told me that he questions whether the 10~12 MKS really has 10 less horsepower, as they have not been able to find any differences at all between the 2. And they are both rated the same for torque. And the 2013 MKS is actually rated now the same as the SHO for stock horsepower.

He thought maybe Ford folks wanted to SHO to be rated top dog performance wise, and the Lincoln folks really didn't care so much about that.

WOW! So no wonder we keep holding our breath wondering if we have reached the limit and nothing happens.

Larry I have have seen dyno numbers normally around 330/360 give or take with stage 4. That would put you a little over 400 crank with just the tune.

I think when I dynoed my car last year, stock was 287 at the wheels and then it was about 10hp added per stage. So if I remember well 319hp was stage 4... If we calculate a driveteain loss of 21.4% (287 hp vs stated 365), that would give 405 hp at crank. But one strenght of LMS tuning is the area under power curve is greater (not just a peak).

I am actually going tomorrow with the same guy who dynoed it last year to compare eith same dyno. He uses a dyno that is plugged instead of the wheels... Apparently quite accurate but it seemed at that time to read under LMS dyno... What matters to me is to measure the additional power compare to last year... I will report back for sure

That sound about right looked at BDP's dyno chart' date=' stock number was 277HP. And my dyno run with stage 4+ meth SCT tune was 350hp, stage 5 meth mycal tune 403hp. Not to shabby 126hp over stock.[/quote']

Chris, you are better with numbers than grammar ! lol!

I am looking forward to my apointment tomorrow... I may have to change my 500hp... if numbers are under, I'll leave it as is, but if over, I will have to boost the numbers! lol! But no worries, I won't put SHO550R, you guys put me back on the right track... : )

So, the magic number, considering a drivetrain loss of 21.4%, would be 393hp at the wheels.

My hope is to be 404hp or more, just to be ahead of Chris' numbers hahaha!

We shall see!