Ecoboost Owner Forums

Steamy windows

When I was in high school, the windows on my '78 Mercury Marquis would sometimes get all steamed up when I parked it... but that was a completely different situation! :eyebrows:

My 2011 MKS on the other hand, seems to have fogged windows on most rainy days. :RpS_sad:

I've been leaving the climate control on Auto. If I hit the Defrost button, the system clears the windows almost instantly.

But on every vehicle I've owned in recent memory with climate control ('91 SHO, '95 SHO, '99 BMW 528, '03 Marauder, '07 Navigator, '08 Jeep SRT-8, and an '08 BMW 535) I just about never had to manually hit the Defrost button.

Has anybody else noticed this? Could I have a bad cabin humidity sensor? Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Somehow, I missed this thread, but I've noticed it in the SHO that on cool evenings, rainy evenings, or even with wet hair from diving, the windows will get steamy unbelievably fast. Even with the climate control on auto it doesn't keep the windows clear, almost always have to run it on defrost to keep the windows clear. Not sure why, this is really the first vehicle, I've ever noticed this, most have some air blowing on the window when on auto.

When I was in high school, the windows on my '78 Mercury Marquis would sometimes get all steamed up when I parked it... but that was a completely different situation! :eyebrows:

My 2011 MKS on the other hand, seems to have fogged windows on most rainy days. :RpS_sad:

I've been leaving the climate control on Auto. If I hit the Defrost button, the system clears the windows almost instantly.

But on every vehicle I've owned in recent memory with climate control ('91 SHO, '95 SHO, '99 BMW 528, '03 Marauder, '07 Navigator, '08 Jeep SRT-8, and an '08 BMW 535) I just about never had to manually hit the Defrost button.

Has anybody else noticed this? Could I have a bad cabin humidity sensor? Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

I had the same problen in hi-school to but I was kissing a girl in the winter time.LOL But no problem with SHO.

When in auto, the fan speed is very slow once the system gets to the set temp and it doesn't seem to require much airflow to maintain that temp. That is probably why the windows steam up quickly in the auto setting. Even if the A/C compressor is engaged, if there's little air movement, that dry air will not make it to the windshield very quickly, or have much effect when it does.

You've probably noticed that when you select Defrost, in addition to the vents shifting to blow directly on the window, the fan speeds up as well. There's a reason there's a defrost setting....

-Rod

When in auto, the fan speed is very slow once the system gets to the set temp and it doesn't seem to require much airflow to maintain that temp. That is probably why the windows steam up quickly in the auto setting. Even if the A/C compressor is engaged, if there's little air movement, that dry air will not make it to the windshield very quickly, or have much effect when it does.

You've probably noticed that when you select Defrost, in addition to the vents shifting to blow directly on the window, the fan speeds up as well. There's a reason there's a defrost setting....

-Rod

That's exactly how mine works, but I know on my all our other FoMoCo products, you could leave the climate control on auto and just turn up the fan speed...well, not sure in our Explorer since my wife uses it mostly...not that it's a problem, defrost always keeps the windows clear.

There's a reason there's a defrost setting....

-Rod

So, why is there an Auto setting?

I'm happy my car isn't defective, but a bit disappointed in the design if we frequently need to hit Defrost... that sort of defeats the magic of Auto, doesn't it?

Oh, I like being able to manually select Defrost in extreme conditions, but Drizzle never struck me as extreme.

Ford needs to re-content the HVAC systems so the work as well as older models.

The primary goal of auto is to maintain constant cabin temperature, versus old rotary knobs you are constantly adjusting to keep cabin temp at , say 70 degrees. Yes, it adjusts airflow, etc, but primary purpose is to maintain a constant temperature without the need for fiddling around with it. Set it to what you want and ignore it...until it gets foggy inside.