Ecoboost Owner Forums

Differences between canadian and US 2013 SHO headlights?

Just ordered a 5K kit. We will see how they work....

How come you ordered a kit, since our cars already have HID's, can't you just replace the bulb? Also I've seen the difference in temp ratings, I assume that changes the color, but is there way to reference light color to temperature? Lastly, how come you went with the 5K and what is in the car from the factory?

How come you ordered a kit' date=' since our cars already have HID's, can't you just replace the bulb? Also I've seen the difference in temp ratings, I assume that changes the color, but is there way to reference light color to temperature? Lastly, how come you went with the 5K and what is in the car from the factory?[/quote']

Most Oem hid should be 4300k

Also I've seen the difference in temp ratings' date=' I assume that changes the color, but is there way to reference light color to temperature? Lastly, how come you went with the 5K and what is in the car from the factory?[/quote']

Color%20chart.jpg

I am a big fan of 5000k personally. Most OEM are 4300K as JHover says. Most halogen are something around 3800k if my memory is right. The most light output is 4300K though. It decreases when temperature raises.

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply here, I don't know how I missed this thread! Ok I can say with 100% certainty that my 2013 SHO has 9012 bulbs from the factory. I used a 9006 Kit I bought locally, I first had the 6000K's installed. Didn't like them at all. I believe that the projector lens shifted the color. The light looked green?? Also the 4300K that I have now looks like OEM and is much brighter then the 6000K's. BTW send me a PM if you need to reach me. I would be happy to help out. I have attached some pictures below to illustrate. The first is the 9012 I pulled out, the second is 9006 6000K that I swapped out for the 4300K bulbs. The only mod you need to make is a small cut to one of the tabs on the 9006 bulbs. Just ensure fit from the old bulbs. Also some online shops have begun stocking the 9012 HID kits. Just ensure that you get the kit with the built in warning canceler and the slim ballasts as this makes for a cleaner install.

Also the high low beam function is in the assemblies not the bulbs. It pretty much the same as the OEM HID's would work with the eyelids on the projectors as such you will not loose high beam functionality. As a matter of fact with the KIT that I have you could land a plane with the high beam's on.

post-912-142532288775_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532288779_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532288775_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532288779_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply here, I don't know how I missed this thread! Ok I can say with 100% certainty that my 2013 SHO has 9012 bulbs from the factory. I used a 9006 Kit I bought locally, I first had the 6000K's installed. Didn't like them at all. I believe that the projector lens shifted the color. The light looked green?? Also the 4300K that I have now looks like OEM and is much brighter then the 6000K's. BTW send me a PM if you need to reach me. I would be happy to help out. I have attached some pictures below to illustrate. The first is the 9012 I pulled out, the second is 9006 6000K that I swapped out for the 4300K bulbs. The only mod you need to make is a small cut to one of the tabs on the 9006 bulbs. Just ensure fit from the old bulbs. Also some online shops have begun stocking the 9012 HID kits. Just ensure that you get the kit with the built in warning canceler and the slim ballasts as this makes for a cleaner install.

Also the high low beam function is in the assemblies not the bulbs. It pretty much the same as the OEM HID's would work with the eyelids on the projectors as such you will not loose high beam functionality. As a matter of fact with the KIT that I have you could land a plane with the high beam's on.

Thank you so much!

Did you use a relay harness or just capacitor (error cancellor) or both?

Ya I can't explain the green color either, could be a 2013 thing. I just know they weren't all that bright and the color was off. I've had 6000K in the past and I liked them, not so much on my SHO. We also have the 2011 Explorer that has OEM HID's and the color is almost exactly them same with the SHO's just slightly whiter and slightly brighter. I had read that some guys had issues with flicker with the 2013 so I opted for the canceler it was only a $20 difference in the cost. I am still working on changing the DRL to the LED's on the front of the car. I don't know why Ford didn't do that instead of the freaking halogen bulbs and delete the HID's from Canada. Our Explorer runs the turn signals as the DRL's. Why wouldn't something like this work for the SHO???

Ya I can't explain the green color either' date=' could be a 2013 thing. I just know they weren't all that bright and the color was off. I've had 6000K in the past and I liked them, not so much on my SHO. We also have the 2011 Explorer that has OEM HID's and the color is almost exactly them same with the SHO's just slightly whiter and slightly brighter. I had read that some guys had issues with flicker with the 2013 so I opted for the canceler it was only a $20 difference in the cost. I am still working on changing the DRL to the LED's on the front of the car. I don't know why Ford didn't do that instead of the freaking halogen bulbs and delete the HID's from Canada. Our Explorer runs the turn signals as the DRL's. Why wouldn't something like this work for the SHO???[/quote']

so error canceler, no harness and you pulled the DRL fuse?

How come you ordered a kit' date=' since our cars already have HID's, can't you just replace the bulb? Also I've seen the difference in temp ratings, I assume that changes the color, but is there way to reference light color to temperature? Lastly, how come you went with the 5K and what is in the car from the factory?[/quote']

My SHO is a Canadian car, no HID's. I went with the 5K because it is a cleaner white light. Also ordered the error cancelling harness just in case...

so error canceler' date=' no harness and you pulled the DRL fuse?[/quote']

I did not pull the fuse, the warning canceler just eliminates the need for a relay while in DRL. Also not sure if the 2013 has a headlight warning out but it will also eliminate that from coming up on the dash. Your new HID's will turn on during DRL with no flicker. Just plug and play it's a really clean install.

mjhpadi, Canadian, and Alaska? Cars do not come with HID, according to Ford to accommodate Day Time running lights that are law here. Which as I stated above is bull, many cars have HID's from the factory and have either LED lights, or run the turn signals for that purpose. The KIT I am referring to comes with wiring harness, ballasts and bulbs, to convert from Halogen to HID.

I did not pull the fuse, the warning canceler just eliminates the need for a relay while in DRL. Also not sure if the 2013 has a headlight warning out but it will also eliminate that from coming up on the dash. Your new HID's will turn on during DRL with no flicker. Just plug and play it's a really clean install.

mjhpadi, Canadian, and Alaska? Cars do not come with HID, according to Ford to accommodate Day Time running lights that are law here. Which as I stated above is bull, many cars have HID's from the factory and have either LED lights, or run the turn signals for that purpose. The KIT I am referring to comes with wiring harness, ballasts and bulbs, to convert from Halogen to HID.

I'm in Anchorage AK and I have HID's on mine. No DRL I was surprised when I got pulled over in a safety corridor for not having lights on. I had thought that all new cars had DRL.

Kit include: bulbs, ballasts, clamps, harness

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/index.php?p=cart

Ahh, Thanks! Now I understand about the DRL's. Funny, I just purchased some strip LED's (alla-Audi R8 type) and plan on installing them tomorrow along with doing a how-to, since I would like some type of DRL, but not the headlamps. Thanks for the input. One last question, if I change to a different temp HID bulb, will I have to change ballast because of the temperature change?

Awesome. thank you for the response. I have installed HID's in non factory HID cars' date=' so in addition to wear gloves, I usually do a quick swap with alcohol on the outside of the bulbs as well just in case there was any oil whatsoever on the bulb.[/quote']

On my 2013 with factory HIDs I CANNOT pull the factory bulbs out to save my life! I bought DDM Tuning 6k bubls to replace the factory 4300k bulbs. Steve here on the forums managed to swap his so maybe its specific to the 2013 not to be able to do it without removing the whole front end. I spent a couple hours total over the summer at different times. I can reach in and unlock the bulbs but my harness will not allow the bulbs to come out without first disconnecting the harness. The problem is once I disconnect inside the housing I would need surgeon tools to reconnect it because there is no room for your hands behind the light assembly attached. This project is on hold until I pull the wheels off and attempt to take off the front end.

On my 2013 with factory HIDs I CANNOT pull the factory bulbs out to save my life! I bought DDM Tuning 6k bubls to replace the factory 4300k bulbs. Steve here on the forums managed to swap his so maybe its specific to the 2013 not to be able to do it without removing the whole front end. I spent a couple hours total over the summer at different times. I can reach in and unlock the bulbs but my harness will not allow the bulbs to come out without first disconnecting the harness. The problem is once I disconnect inside the housing I would need surgeon tools to reconnect it because there is no room for your hands behind the light assembly attached. This project is on hold until I pull the wheels off and attempt to take off the front end.

There should be enough slack in the harness to allow you to do this, on the halogen bulbs its the same thing. The harness is inside the assembly, I was able with some scrapes to do this. Removing the fuse cover on the driver side makes it easier to reach. On the passenger side is a tight squeeze but you should be able to. Also if you can manage just one hand you should be able to engage the harness with just one hand. It will take some time and some colorful words but I was able to do it. If you can manage a picture of the area that would be helpful. I have had mine out a few times now.

I can't stand the 4300k I have replacement DDM 6k bulbs but I cannot replace them while the headlight assembly is installed. The 6k here reflect the painted surfaces much better, the 4300k feel like standard lights. My suggestion with aftermarket kits is DDM Tuning brand, but also get yourself a spare bulb and ballast. They do go, once in a while they go early and it is no fun driving around with 1 headlight! 55W is a big upgrade from the 35W. With a good bulb you will not even need high beams. People argue about the science of the bulb temps and the ballast wattage, install them and go with what your eye likes for night driving. For me my ideal setup is what I have in my Girlfriends Audi A4, 55W 6k DDM kits. My car I will get those 6k in someday but the factory ballasts are 35w. Kind of stuck.

I finally pull the trigger for a good kit:

9012 (already modified 9006), digital slim 55W ballast

4300K 55W bulbs

Warning canceller

Relay harness

It ships from Montreal in Quebec so free shipping and no custom/duty fees but CAN$19 taxes :doh:

^^that looks sweet on your bike, I had 6000K on my Lincoln Mark LT and loved them. My friend has 8000k on his Trailblazer SS and they look good too. I can only say that in the halogen projector assemblies the 6000K that I had in before they had a green tinge and weren't very bright at all. I am much happier with the 4300K maybe 5000K would look good also. When I compared my SHO to our Explorer they are brighter and slightly whiter than OEM. It is possible that the OEM HID lenses are different and produce a different shift if at all in the color. I would like to see the OEM HID lenses on a SHO, I wonder if the MKS are the same?

Installing mine tomorrow. Just got this Black Friday deal from the company I bought from if anyone is interested / in need.

The legendary Black Friday Sale at The Retrofit Source is back!

Check out the flyer:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/blackfriday/

Store-wide Deals:

10% off any order $100 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving15

15% off any order $200 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving20

25% off any order $300 or more! Coupon = TRSgiving25