Ecoboost Owner Forums

Grrr....taillight chrome

RedCandySHO

i have a 2010 and have 41k miles and the esp ford warranty, and they dont cover the taillights as im on my 2nd set now and there peeling,ford wouldnt do anything at dealership/headquarters when i called they said each dealership is privately owned and make there owned decisions, but they arent that expensive but it just seems that its gonna happen again and think that a idea is to ask people who have painted the outside of the lights or something cause there gonna peel everytime it seems,

good luck

anthony

I already got them replaced twice and now my third set is starting to peel!!! I thought they would have changed supplier by now, but it appears not : (

First time was under warranty, second time they ask me 100$ and my dealer assumed the balance. I was told that MRSP is over 300$ here in Quebec... So, this third time, I am on my own I have been told... Hmmm, no way I am going to pay 300+$ to have cheap chrome tail lights again... On top of that, since I have them covered with Lamin-X, every time I need to order new Lamin-X and pay for install... So, I took the decision this week to have it wrapped in black and while at it cover all the chrome in black and remove the plastidip of my front grill and transversal bar on the trunk and have them wrapped too... I found someone on the classified that has done 14 cars so far and is doing car wrapping as a side job in a garage and the results shown on the photos are very nice...

Now, I am considering having all the car wrapped! She told me (yes she is a she, why not?) that she charges about 600$ in labor for the whole car and that material is around 400$... Not too chabby when I compare to the usual 3-4K$ usually asked for the same job...

Now the question is: What color?... The other one is: How to I justify that to my wife? lol

When I had mine replaced they said it was the "must call first list" from Ford. This list is a particular pain as the dealer wont touch these items for fear Ford wont pay. I am sure they wouldnt replace mine a 2nd time as I am out of the bumper to bumper.

I agree with the previous about plastic dip. I just bought some and sprayed some extra wheels I bought, actually looks pretty good! No harm trying it out as it will peel right off.

They've been on the must call list for a long while now. When I had mine replaced in the summer of 2011, they even had to call then. I am sorry to hear that the replacement sets are peeling! I know with the tint from Lamin-X that the film is large enough to cover the chrome trim, which may help protect it a bit.