Ecoboost Owner Forums

Into the 12's on tune alone?

nameneeded

So as I research different tunes done by different people and places I came across more than one article (as in 'news' story) that has cars into the 12's on tune alone. No cat backs. No down pipes. No meth. No race gas. No CAI. Nothing. Just tune+93oc and plant foot.

This sound right? One of the guys an article was taking about did his own tune and took out the intake to fun free for a 12.75 pass.

I am learing of such stories on such a big car but will be very happy if this is the case. :D

I was in the 12's also with just a tune, but Airaid and H&R springs too... So I have no doubt that a Performance package SHO with just a tune is capable, under good conditions, to get 12's passes. The Airaid has proven no hp at all, just better sound from turbos. The H&R springs do help for the launch, but I believe the PP vs non-PP offers a firmer suspension, so the help of springs on a PP car shouldn't be that much compared to what it was for me. I think I ran in the 12.7-12.8's with those only mods and Livernois stage 4+...

Heck my bone stock pp 13 sho went 13.55, and we never raised the hood, I'm quite certain it could have gone a 13.4x heck the mph was from high 102 to low 105 the car is very impressive in my book heck there was a boss mustang down there running 13.8 @108 mph which is pathetic, I hope it was just a bad driver, but regardless for 4300 pounds the car flat roles out

Very interesting question... one I've pondered myself.

I think that most reputable tuners would avoid promising this because there are just too many variables, and the good ones won't promise something they aren't 100% sure they'll deliver. On-line reputions burn quickly.

I've heard that baseline dyno runs vary considerably on the EB 3.5. Consider how track prep, altitude, atmospheric conditions, and even driver-weight (140lb toothpick vs 280 lb big-guy) can drift in one direction or the other, and the same "tune-only" could run 13.2 for me and 12.8 for somebody else... not that I'm 280... but I ain't 140 either!

In my mind, the CAI might just be bling and anything shy of the downpipes exhaust-wise seems to be little more than an audio improvement.

Not that there's anything wrong with either of those... I love a great sounding exhaust!

In the real world though, away from the strip, very few buttometers can feel the difference between 12.85 and 13.1. In the real world... and at the strip as well... spinning tires and missed shifts are often the deciding factor. It's a rare AWD EB that sufferes from either of these, so as the man above says, "the car flat roles out"!

My mind is 99% made up on a tune and Eibachs for my MKS. It should be a subtle little sleeper and proud to earn a spot in my garage next to my semi-retired 450hp supercharged Mercury Marauder.

GP, you are so correct that times have so many variables that I can't believe anyone would promise numbers. I've seen the same car with different driver's run almost 1/2 sec. faster with one driver over the other, even on the same day and in back to back runs. I was amazed when I started drag racing (many, many years ago) how much everything affects times and speed. On the surface it looks simple, but in practice, man, you could spend a lifetime learning how to read tracks, and set cars. Then add how things change from class to class....for example, the track can be perfect for the fuel cars (Top Fuel, Funny Cars) and be terrible for the Stock, Super Stock, and Modified guys.

Anyway, I wouldn't wait for the tune. I know I did and when I got mine (from Livernois), I couldn't believe how much better it made the car. They have proven to be reliable and have great customer service. And their tune took me from really liking the car to falling in love with it.

So as I research different tunes done by different people and places I came across more than one article (as in 'news' story) that has cars into the 12's on tune alone. No cat backs. No down pipes. No meth. No race gas. No CAI. Nothing. Just tune+93oc and plant foot.

This sound right? One of the guys an article was taking about did his own tune and took out the intake to fun free for a 12.75 pass.

I am learing of such stories on such a big car but will be very happy if this is the case. :D

A couple of points...I won't say "just a tune", remember the majority of the SHO's out there are probably bone stock, can you imagine not knowing how much better this car can be with a tune...can't even think about it being stock! Also, remember a guy talking 12.75 on his "own" tune....I don't know if I'd trust someone without a solid background to plug in a tune. Not when you have reputable tuners (Livernois, Torrie) who have done a ton of work and have had their tunes proven to help the car and not have any failures. I think it's rather important that the tune not only provide better performance, but also keep the car reliable. So I'm willing to give up a tad of time and speed for the combination. If all I was looking for was total all out performance, I would have a dedicated race car, not one that I need for transportation. I think guys like Livernois have done an outstanding job at delivering products that satisfy the performance side while not hurting the car.

Very interesting question... one I've pondered myself.

I think that most reputable tuners would avoid promising this because there are just too many variables, and the good ones won't promise something they aren't 100% sure they'll deliver. On-line reputions burn quickly.

I've heard that baseline dyno runs vary considerably on the EB 3.5. Consider how track prep, altitude, atmospheric conditions, and even driver-weight (140lb toothpick vs 280 lb big-guy) can drift in one direction or the other, and the same "tune-only" could run 13.2 for me and 12.8 for somebody else... not that I'm 280... but I ain't 140 either!

In my mind, the CAI might just be bling and anything shy of the downpipes exhaust-wise seems to be little more than an audio improvement.

Not that there's anything wrong with either of those... I love a great sounding exhaust!

In the real world though, away from the strip, very few buttometers can feel the difference between 12.85 and 13.1. In the real world... and at the strip as well... spinning tires and missed shifts are often the deciding factor. It's a rare AWD EB that sufferes from either of these, so as the man above says, "the car flat roles out"!

My mind is 99% made up on a tune and Eibachs for my MKS. It should be a subtle little sleeper and proud to earn a spot in my garage next to my semi-retired 450hp supercharged Mercury Marauder.

NeedNeeded & gpfarrell, Here is Dragtimes link

2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH

They have many of EBOF times there plus many other times and videos with there mods or no mods. I 'm a member of SCCA & run autocross with my car too. Stock for them is no change to CAI but you could change cat back mufflers if size (sho 2 1/4in pipe) of pipe is the same. I've 2 1/4in dynomax mufflers just more sound the stock you can't hear yourself at dragstrip to manal shift the car. Alfter a tune if that tunes the trans shift you'll never shift it youself again. Look at EBOF TOP 10 times for the clubs records. Bond stock with 93oct at 97deg, full tank,every thing that came in the car, full glove boxes, 225lb driver I ran a 13.760sec!!!!!!!HAHAHA At a dyno pwr of 298whp. Then Steve142857 (THE DARK JEDI OF SPEED) started techening me how to be faster. 1st gpfarrell you are wright about wt. 100lb=.10sec,fuel 1gal=7 lb,every 10deg=.10sec,lunch rmp,staging late or early all these thing make a drifferents. Tune only, There is some drifference between what is tune only or not. As steve said the CAI really make little drifference stock but help a tune a little (5-9hp) so most say CAI is part of your tune,some say no, I SAY YES IT IS.(just me) All these thing made a drifference , My best time tune only at 95deg was 13.044sec at 59deg 12.669sec same car 4165lb,track,driver 220lb,car setup every thing but temp and I'm .4sec faster. My car is one of the lites in the club because I order my with only the 12s PP option making me about 200lb liter. Hope this ravel helps.

boss mustang down there running 13.8 @108 mph which is pathetic' date=' I hope it was just a bad driver[/quote']

I can tell you that my 2013 on stock tires ran 12's, and have seen 11.51 pass with some mods... Excited to get the tune on our SHO and see what she can do at the track

Trust me there is no reason that guy should not have atleast run 13.0 on street tires, don't get me wrong the new 5.0 is stout, but let just say a Taurus was 500 pounds lighter like a mustang, can we say high 12s, the ecoboost is very impressive, also the 5.0 are geared harder which would also help

Robert