Ecoboost Owner Forums

Rattle in back speaker area?

There is a TSB about the rattle in this area, it has too do with the rear window shade, not sure the exact fix, also, if you have the stereo in the surround sound mode, try it on the stereo mode, since the surround sound mode is really terrible, the radio will sound better with it in some other mode.

Also have someone with good hearing ride in the back seat to confirm the source of the rattle. I had a rattle that I swore was in the rear. I tore the sunshade out, padded any areas where it could rub, installed Dynamat on the package tray, put it all back together, rattle was still there. So then I swore it was in the passenger door. I took the door apart, inspected everything, put some Dynamat on it, got it all back together, still the same rattle. With passengers in the car I would ask others if they could hear the noise. Almost no one would hear the rattle, and if they did, they would think it was coming from different locations than I would. I ended up finding the rattle above the passenger headliner forward of the sunroof. There's a little cable bundle up there that is not staked down and rattles against the headliner.

-Rod

I've had this issue. Initially thought it was a blown speaker, so we replaced it and i still had the rattle. Come to find out that it was the rear headliner around the 3rd brake light. After they had the car for a few days and testing this on a new car they said it is just something that every car does. I can confirm that to be true as i first had this issue with my '10 and with my '13. Trying having someone put their hand up near the headliner/brake light area and see if it stops it.

• 1 month later...
Guest K4u2luz2

I have a '10 and it seems to be really bad now that I have added (2) JL Audio subs. Like odors have mentioned above the rattle seems to be coming from overhead. And if it wasn't so darn cold outside I would be tearing into the headliner issue. So I will report back in the spring or when it gets warmer.