Ecoboost Owner Forums

Cracked plastic trim -driver seat

Just want to know if anyone is having an issue with the plastic trim piece (at seat controls) on the driver seat. I noticed a couple days ago that the trim piece is cracked and shows indication of stress cracks in other locations. I know that I may have put on a couple pound this holiday season but I figure ford must have designed the seat to handle a 170 lb, 48 yr old, 5'10" male.

I guess I will have to take it to the dealership to have it replaced.

• 2 months later...

I know that this question has been posted for a long time but in case it still is of interest, something you might want to consider is the way you have adopted to get in and out of the seat. I have many years of automotive seat work experience and I can tell you I've been able to pick up how a habitual way of getting in and out can often be linked to damage in a particular area. Take note of when you apply weight to the exact area with damage and see if that motion can be modified or eliminated. For example I've found that women tend to open the door, then sit in the seat with both feet on the ground then pivot to get first one foot in the car then the other foot. Men will usually open the door then stand on the left foot and put the right foot in at the same time as the behind hits the seat. They then can get the left foot in with a minimum of pivoting on the seat. I have seen some who after getting in the seat will push back against the shoulder area of the backrest to raise the behind in an effort to help free up clothing that may be bunched or uncomfortable from the sliding in action. You would not believe what that repeated pushing back can do to the backrest frame. I'm sure it will be covered, but might be interesting to play detective in any case. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
I know that this question has been posted for a long time but in case it still is of interest' date=' something you might want to consider is the way you have adopted to get in and out of the seat. Good luck[/quote']

:crutch: Thanks for the tips Larry, but being an old, fat guy, I'm just happy to be able to get in and out of the car without using 4 pounds of Vaseline and a shoehorn!

• 3 weeks later...

I was out taking pictures and I thought i'd snap a shot of the side of my driver's seat since I have the stress mark in the plastic and also a spot of cracked leather that someone else had mentioned. I just bought the car a few weeks ago and this is how it was when i got it. I've noticed similar leather wear marks in other vehicles as well, so it's nothing new as far as wear and tear goes, but the stressed plastic portion was a little surprising to me.

DSCN0153.jpg

I'm betting the last guy who owned my car was either old or BIG and my theory is they sat down facing away from the car and then turned and got in, reversing on exit...that is about the only way it could get wear that far back. I have learned after owning a King Ranch that being gentle when getting in and out of a vehicle has it's rewards as the seats in my old 98,000 mile truck looked like new when i sold it.

Archived