Ecoboost Owner Forums

Skid Plate

Hello all, just got a 2013 SHO with PP. I just took her in for her first oil change and the guys let me get underneath and take a look since I haven't been under it yet. While under there I noticed no skid plate, thought I had read here or else where that there is a skid plate? The holes and threaded inserts were in place for one.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm willing to bet you're thinking of the plastic under belly pans that merely protect the underside of the engine itself from the elements of Mother Nature.

No skid plates were designed into the Civilian versions of the 2013's (or prior model years for that matter).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I'm thinking of the belly pan that would protectect the oil filter - oil pan area. Yes I asked, and no the guys didn't have to remove anything. Thought there was something in place there from reading about the aftermarket downpipes clearing it.

I'll just go run by the local dealership and look under a few they have on the line to see if they have them from the factory.

Even with the after market downpipes, there is no skid plate.

Since I was the 1st to run custom downpipes, I was told by the person who made them, that I wouldn't be able to re-install that plastic under belly pan.

Following the install of them, I tried it, and it still fit.

As I am currently the only one running catless pipes, and mine are hand bent, welded, etc. I am happy that it does still in fact fit.

Even the vendor that is making the after market pipes for LMS on a larger production scale (for those owners that have opted to purchase them) the plastic under belly pan fits.

I think you were either misinformed to begin with, or perhaps you had expectations for some form of a skid plate, that were just not met.

Yeah I'm thinking of the belly pan that would protect the oil filter - oil pan area. Yes I asked, and no the guys didn't have to remove anything. Thought there was something in place there from reading about the aftermarket downpipes clearing it.

I'll just go run by the local dealership and look under a few they have on the line to see if they have them from the factory.

I think what I was asking got completely lost in translation some how. Sorry I used the word SKID PLATE, I meant to inquire to this forum about the plastic BELLY PAN. As I mentioned above I had only heard about the belly pan discussed by individuals that where doing custom down pipes (you) or installing the LMS pipes. When I had my oil changed, there was no BELLY PAN so I was asking if all SHO's were supposed to come with them? I was neither misinformed nor were my expectations not met.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Understood.

As far as I am aware, ALL SHO's came with two under belly pans.

There's a larger one that essentially spans the entire underside of the engine compartment, and then a smaller one that spans between the front frame rail, and the front bumper.

It sounds like, from rereading your posts, that the larger under belly pan is the one you are missing.

A good majority of members have had experiences where the thumb twist cam type bolts located at each of the four corners, became lost, or dislodged due to human error (not having been tightened enough).

I recall a couple of members who posted about having had some form of a fluid change performed (oil, trans, etc.) Only to find out days, or weeks later, that that larger belly pan is/was missing.

I'll try to find a part # for you, I think it was around $200-$300.