Ecoboost Owner Forums

Tuning worth giving up Factory Warranty?

Here is the reality of the one member that I know of that smoke is engine 100% his fault. Dealer deny him a warranty do to few power cycles.

And from what I've learned from my own person experiences, I think most dealers are willing to look the other way. With in reason, plus they have to get approval from ford on warranties. So if they think for one second that ford may send out a inspector your hit.

As I have expressed many time before on this subject. It's all pretty much all common sense.

If you bring you car to the dealer cause its running poorly and needs a spark plug, coil, or sensor. Your golden, but it's broken piston your goose is cooked if you have modified your car. Now whether or not what they can tell of how and what was modified? is up in the air and doesn't matter all they have to be suspicious that had been and your denied.

So unless you got a lot of time and money to burn is a moot argument.

But this said, your dealer isn't the bad guy. They deal with ford on daily basis and they know what they can get away with and what ford will buy.

Warrantee repairs are a huge expense for auto manufactures. And they don't take lightly. I work at the mustang plant I was told we investigate every large warranty claim.

Not trying to scare anyone off, LMS tunes have time and time again have proven to safe reliable tunes.

But these are the real world harsh realities if you find yourself in a unlucky predicament.

Here is the reality of the one member that I know of that smoke is engine 100% his fault. Dealer deny him a warranty do to few power cycles.

And from what I've learned from my own person experiences, I think most dealers are willing to look the other way. With in reason, plus they have to get approval from ford on warranties. So if they think for one second that ford may send out a inspector your hit.

As I have expressed many time before on this subject. It's all pretty much all common sense.

If you bring you car to the dealer cause its running poorly and needs a spark plug, coil, or sensor. Your golden, but it's broken piston your goose is cooked if you have modified your car. Now whether or not what they can tell of how and what was modified? is up in the air and doesn't matter all they have to be suspicious that had been and your denied.

So unless you got a lot of time and money to burn is a moot argument.

But this said, your dealer isn't the bad guy. They deal with ford on daily basis and they know what they can get away with and what ford will buy.

Warrantee repairs are a huge expense for auto manufactures. And they don't take lightly. I work at the mustang plant I was told we investigate every large warranty claim.

Not trying to scare anyone off, LMS tunes have time and time again have proven to safe reliable tunes.

But these are the real world harsh realities if you find yourself in a unlucky predicament.

you all will have to excuse my redundant double post, first post never showed up for me on tap talk. So this must be one of those posting problems the admin is working on.

Having seen this discussion to a great extent on the Mustang Source Forum, let me say, Ford did put out a memo to dealers to check the ECU after an engine failure and to deny the warranty if it was reflashed. Period. You can discuss this till the cows come home, but Ford has the power. They deny the repair and you are free to fight it. Ford was telling people to go back to their tuner and at least one was working with people. I will go back to the forum and see if I can find the memo. The whole thing comes down to the burden of proof falls on the owner, not Ford. I can also tell you Subaru is doing the same thing as my daughter's engine failed and the first thing they did was check the ECU, and then had the dealer do a rebuild instead of replacing the engine, even though the failure was caused by a known problem. Since the SHO is a performance vehicle, as advertised by Ford, I would bet the ECU is storing the information, and if it is like the Mustang, according to a tech on the other forum, you can not get to the information to erase or change it.

UPDATE: Here is the TSB from Ford pertaining to the Mustang and F-150 with the 5.0.. TSB 11-7-7 (Aftermarket Powertrain Control Module Calibration - Non-Factory Modification or Aftermarket Components)

Having seen this discussion to a great extent on the Mustang Source Forum, let me say, Ford did put out a memo to dealers to check the ECU after an engine failure and to deny the warranty if it was reflashed. Period. You can discuss this till the cows come home, but Ford has the power. They deny the repair and you are free to fight it. Ford was telling people to go back to their tuner and at least one was working with people. I will go back to the forum and see if I can find the memo. The whole thing comes down to the burden of proof falls on the owner, not Ford. I can also tell you Subaru is doing the same thing as my daughter's engine failed and the first thing they did was check the ECU, and then had the dealer do a rebuild instead of replacing the engine, even though the failure was caused by a known problem. Since the SHO is a performance vehicle, as advertised by Ford, I would bet the ECU is storing the information, and if it is like the Mustang, according to a tech on the other forum, you can not get to the information to erase or change it.

UPDATE: Here is the TSB from Ford pertaining to the Mustang and F-150 with the 5.0.. TSB 11-7-7 (Aftermarket Powertrain Control Module Calibration - Non-Factory Modification or Aftermarket Components)

If you are to follow the diagnostic flow chart sent to dealer techs, per the PDF you attached, the ONLY thing that instructs them to check that the car may have been tuned, is DTC P1000, which will not only reset it self after a few drives, but can be tripped by something a simple as pulling the battery cable.

Here is the bulletin for our car.

http://way2evil.com/tsb/tsb10-02-06.pdf

I found this line interesting.

The high pressure fuel system used for the

EcoBoost engine will not support additional fuel flow

beyond what the factory calibration requests.

Inspect the engine for an additional aftermarket

injector(s) located somewhere in the induction

caused by excessive spark advance.

system to provided increased fuel flow.

I found this line interesting.

The high pressure fuel system used for the

EcoBoost engine will not support additional fuel flow

beyond what the factory calibration requests.

Inspect the engine for an additional aftermarket

injector(s) located somewhere in the induction

caused by excessive spark advance.

system to provided increased fuel flow.

Yes seen also, and I believe this to be true. Because as to recently all changes made to cars program the fuel system has been able adjust to, until modded turbo's came along. And thats where it ended, while LMS did over come this hurdle. I was told no one will ever figure out.

That TSB is also not 100% accurate because it lists intake and exhaust as cause for voiding the warranty' date=' yet FRPP offers the Airaid intake and Magnaflow exhaust, and FRPP modifications do not void the warranty. I would be willing to bet if FRPP or Shelby installs the tune that it is warrantied also.[/quote']

I understand FRPP provides their own warranty and has nothing to with the Ford factory power train warranty. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am not into tuning, so I was just providing the information on the 5.0 so people could see Ford was watching this, and to take that into consideration in making the decision to tune or not to tune.

I was not aware there was a TSB on our cars. Thanks Crash712us for posting that link. Very informative.