Ecoboost Owner Forums

2010-2012 LED Taillight modification

Will do guys, hopefully I will discuss things with them tomorrow since we are supposed to have heavy rains...but it it clears up, I will have to dry the car with QD and a Quick Wax...but I should be able to have more info on the bulbs (and maybe even get them ordered.

Guest Guest
Yeah' date=' that flaking chrome is a real nuisance! I know Dave (DJE624) got taillight assemblies from a Limited (non-chrome) to replace his, and they look great! Here's to hoping you get your unique work showcased on the SHO very soon :)[/quote']

Just to clarify they are from an SEL. I think the LTD's are chrome.

I don't know if I'm ready to tackle that big of a project (although I do like that LED look) because I'm not sure I have enough electrical ability to install the resistors needed for the turn signals...but overall, when you compare that to the expense of $180.00 for 4 replacement bulbs, it makes the kit look not quite as expensive.

I don't know if I'm ready to tackle that big of a project (although I do like that LED look) because I'm not sure I have enough electrical ability to install the resistors needed for the turn signals...but overall' date=' when you compare that to the expense of $180.00 for 4 replacement bulbs, it makes the kit look not quite as expensive. [/quote']

You realize you will still need to install load resistors when changing to LED bulbs for the turn signals, right? That's not only required for a full conversion. Maybe you're only planning to go LED for the taillight and backup light?

I bought LED bulbs for my Lincoln Aviator and had the same complaint with the brake light bulbs. The bulbs I bought for brake lights were plenty bright, but the difference in intensity from parking light to brake light was not as drastic as I would prefer. It would be possible to change the series resistor for the parking light function but I never took it that far.

For what it's worth, if you know the bulb number that you are trying to replace, the popular auction site is about the least expensive place to get LED bulbs that I've found.

-Rod

I was planning on only doing the tail/back up bulbs, but there are no LED bulbs to match the back up bulb or the tail light bulbs in the 2010....so I've sorta given up on that project and going to attempt to install switchbacks in the front turn signals.