Ecoboost Owner Forums

Torque Management Questions

So I'm on my way home. I have AT in Sports Mode. I take an 90 degree on ramp corner at about 35-40mph in 3rd and floor it. While i did get the car to corner nicely, it felt like the power was being held back. I know in my MS3, mazda had torque management cut in when the wheel was turned to keep the car composed, and prevent torque steer. I wanted to know if ford did the same with the SHO. If so is this something that mitigated with a LMS tune and their "reduced torque management?"

Based on your description of flooring it in the middle of a 90 degree corner, I wonder if what you felt was the stability control cutting the power or applying some braking. Torque management, as we typically think of it, comes into play during shifts to eliminate shift-shock. Once the shift is complete the power should be there. As Crash says, LMS tunes alter that and make the shifts more positive.

I don't think the steering wheel position affects torque management. If I floor mine with the steering wheel turned, it breaks the inside tires loose...until traction control intervenes. I have also taken turns a bit too fast on slippery streets and had the stability control step in.

I could be totally wrong about what you experienced. However, if it was stability or traction control, I don't think the LMS tunes alter that.

I keep forgetting that the 2013s are a bit different. After I installed the tune in my 2010, I found myself getting on it as often as possible. On one occasion, I pulled out of a side street onto a highway and floored it just in the middle of the turn. It broke loose for a split second before the icon on the dash lit up - the little car with the squiggly lines. Power was cut off in a hurry. I thought maybe that is what you experienced but I was obviously wrong if you didn't get the light.

When you are talking about Torque Management you need to be careful what definition you are referring to. I believe the Torque Management that is in the 4+ tune has to do with reducing engine torque (by reducing timing) during shifts to keep the transmission and the driver happy.

If you are in a corner the 2013+ cars have Torque vectoring which allows the application of a brake (I believe) to one of the wheels to help with power delivery to the wheels. If it is cutting out on you in a corner trying to get the back end lose or something similar then it is stability control (which all models have).

I am not sure if the LMS tune messes with the Torque Vectoring on the 2013+ or not.

I know how the torque vectoring feels when it cuts in because the wobbles a bit when it cuts in. Fords torque vectoring isn't the smoothist system, Honda and Misubishi has done it better but thats besides the point.

As far as if TQ Mgmt is just related to managing torque between shifts is what i'm trying to determine. Like i said Mazda uses a steering wheel angle sensor to adjust their tq mgmt so that you don't over power the front wheels. This is what my car felt like it was doing last night. I didn't get the additional traction light to let me know it was cutting in. I just didn't have the power i thought i should have until the wheel was less turned.