Ecoboost Owner Forums

Help! Car apart...need tool size.

So I was going to change my front brakes today and put on some EBC red stuff and EBC Slotted rotors. I noticed there is a fastener holding the rotor to the hub with a Torx bit...(Never seen that before but this is my first Ford). Does anyone know the size of the bit? The T30 I have was too small and the T40 was too big so I'm guessing T35 but before I run and try and buy one it would be great if someone knew for sure.

Thx...

Maybe I shouldn't be attempting this (I've changed brakes on an awful lot of cars). I have everything apart but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old brake pads OUT of the stupid metal clips that hold them in place.

What's the trick? I didn't want to force anything. They are loose but I don't see how you can get them off the metal slide. Do you need to take the caliper slides out? That seems like overkill.:embarassed:

Yea, I ended up forcing mine out by hand believe it or not.

They were tight, that's for sure. No doubt about it, but eventually I got one side to go (or wiggle a lil bit) then worked the opposing side, and just kept at it from there til they came completely out.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Still no joy. I'm posting pics so everyone can either tell me why I'm an idiot or hopefully explain to me what I am doing wrong. :help:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2065[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2066[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2067[/ATTACH]

Just a note that the car is a 2011 PP - I know the pads were different but assume everything else is the same? Can anyone at least verify that those clips are the same on your car.

The real issue is that once I get the pads "loose" in the caliper you can't angle them enough or move them enough in any direction to get them past the metal lip on the caliper (or those clips but I'd bend those at this point so I don't think they are the real issue). I compressed the pistons all the way in to get me all the room I could to work with. Prying did NOT help.

This stinks.

post-269-142532291223_thumb.jpg

post-269-142532291225_thumb.jpg

post-269-142532291226_thumb.jpg

post-269-142532291223_thumb.jpg

post-269-142532291225_thumb.jpg

post-269-142532291226_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I will do that at this point. No offense taken trust me. I can put it all back together without issue. I've never had to take the caliper apart to change pads before (on about 5 other cars I've owned). Is that something you are saying is "normal" or just in my case because it isn't cooperating?

Glad I did not offend you, and don't you to discourage you from learning. As I am virtually self taught myself, but the difference I learned by trial and error back in the day $300 jalopies. But the sho brakes are not unlike most other cars so I would suggest watching a few videos on youtube on doing braking while I doubt there is video for doing our specific car I willing to bet previous taurus and the 500's brakes a very much a like.

And to other fellas that have experience in doing brakes, here is your chance to post a how to.

found this video with quick search.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMYbJ-G0gaU

I figured it out thanks to your previous post. I just got it all done in about 20 minutes. (and yes it works perfectly and I didn't die) :) I do feel like an idiot though. I also stand by the fact that I've never had to remove the caliper bracket from the caliper piston assembly to get pads out on several GM and Chrysler vehicles. I should however have figured that out in about 15 minutes...doh.

I know you won't believe me now, but I did almost all of the modifications on my GTP including rocker arms/springs and head removal for a blown gasket. Like I said...I've never felt so stupid. Sometimes it's the obvious stuff. I can't thank you enough.