Ecoboost Owner Forums

How to resist the new SHO urge

I've always been crazy for new cars. I usually buy a new one every 3-5 years. I've been test driving the new '13s and almost pulled the trigger.

Then I start reading about how financially stupid it is to buy a new car every few years. The amount of money wasted is pretty staggering when it is broken down.

I want one really bad. And I'm sure I will want the new one in '15 or '16. I'm killing myself here. I'm trying to be good and keep driving my '10. I know it is the smartest financial decision, but the emotional decision really wants the '13.

Anybody else like me?

Yea Mark, the '14's will be here soon enough.....

But why plop that kind of coin down for a rehash of the '13 for all essential purposes? :noidea:

If it were me, and knowing all the changes looming on the horizon, I'd definitely hold out for the redesigned 2015.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I got myself on an 7 year schedule. I allow myself a new car every 7 years. I tend to go with a nice top of the line car for my price range at the time. it stops the year to year upgrade urges.

To off set this 7 year schedule, my wife gets a new car every 7 years as well but in the middle of my cycle. so in essence we buy a new car every 3.5 years.

^^ I wish I had your dicipline. When I get a car I like, I tend to keep it, when I don't I turn it quickly. I also buy mainly certified cars less than 2 years old. We have had our 01 Cadillac for 11 years - we (my wife) likes that one. On the other hand, I have been through 5 cars in that same time frame (though in my defense, two of those cars were very short term leases, 18 mos each). Problem is, the MKS is still a relatively recent purchase and my wife finally wants a new (used) car, so two purchases within 2 years is not my ideal game plan....

Yea Mark, the '14's will be here soon enough.....

But why plop that kind of coin down for a rehash of the '13 for all essential purposes? :noidea:

If it were me, and knowing all the changes looming on the horizon, I'd definitely hold out for the redesigned 2015.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I'm not worried about the '14, which should be basically the same car as the '13. It's the darn refresh/redesigned cars that get me. The '13 is a nice step up from the '10-'12.

Then here comes the redesigned '15.

I got myself on an 7 year schedule. I allow myself a new car every 7 years. I tend to go with a nice top of the line car for my price range at the time. it stops the year to year upgrade urges.

To off set this 7 year schedule, my wife gets a new car every 7 years as well but in the middle of my cycle. so in essence we buy a new car every 3.5 years.

This is a great idea. Definitely takes discipline to accomplish.

This is a great idea. Definitely takes discipline to accomplish.

started this in 2000 when i bought my Audi, so i am on my 3rd cycle if you will. Basically, trying to limit 1 car payment at a time for the household.

7 years happens to be about how long it takes us to put 100k on a car too. that seems to be about when i like to unload a car.