Ecoboost Owner Forums

Transmission TSB Recently Completed

I am wondering if anyone else has had the transmission TSB done and their feelings of it before and after.

The only reason that mine had it done was because 1 time I pulled up to a light, stopped and then took off. I rolled onto the throttle and by the time I realized i wasnt going anywhere (1/2 second) it immediately caught and felt like I did a neutral tranny drop. So the dealer then did the Transmission TSB (Flashed the PCM with the Latest Strategy code, and removed a check ball from the Trans) Wednesday and told me it would take some time for the car to "Learn" the updated strategy code. I have driven it a mix of city/highway, WOT runs, and granny driving over 200-250 miles.

Well, now the car seems to feel just different. Under very slight throttle it feels like there is a misfire, and it seems like the trans is constantly hunting for gears. This happens with cruise on at 65 and a slightly uphill grade. Its just not smooth at all, and the best feeling is like it has an intermittent misfire and the car shudders ever so slightly under that condition.

Has anyone else has had similar experiences with the TSB?

Will the shuddering go away with miles?

And finally, I have just received my LMS tuner today. I want to tune the car but I dont want to do it before i know the trans is running smoothly. Im sure the dealer would have an issue and blame the tune if I loaded it(if they would even notice). I am guessing that the tune would help the issue quite a bit actually. But Id rather let the dealer sort it out without chancing a warranty denial. Pretty sure Im going to call them tomorrow or stop in early in the AM to see if they can figure out anything.

Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated!

I had tranny experiences just like yours. Felt like I got rear ended when the tranny caught. The TSB more or less cured the problem but I had some lesser clunky moments and seeming slight power losses. These would most likely seem to be brought on by stop and go driving like in freeway gridlock situations. I found that for me a good way to interrupt the clunky attack was to pull the shift lever into "M" for just a couple seconds then go back into Drive and it was like forcing a tranny reboot. My episodes have been getting milder and fewer as time goes on and I can't tell you when the last one occurred. Good idea to let the dealer check it out, and also to let things settle down afterwards before loading the tune.

Twice in a year, I had the experience of being stopped at a light and then when I was ready to go, it felt like it was in neutral for about 1or 2 seconds. Besides that, never any other issues. It will be interesting to see if it happens again, now I have had the BG, though I also suspect it is a software glitch, not mechanical error.

Have any of you had the TRS (transmission range sensor) replaced? Mine would seemingly go into neutral on occasion. Replacing the TRS was the fix and the transmission has been absolutely perfect ever since. This was done over a year ago. By the way, this was not a simple reflash - it was an internal sensor requiring draining fluid and some disassembly.

I had similar symptoms on my G8 regarding This shuddering and feeling like being rear ended and it was the torque converter being shot on my G8. After the trans replacement and new torque converter I had this flare between shifts and I had seen/felt enough. Traded her for the SHO.

Good luck.

Yes, I had the transmissions TSB's performed:

11-08-21

6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION—SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP—BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

11-5-6

*6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

10-21-2

* 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLIP/NEUTRAL OUT, 5TH GEAR START FROM STOP, ELECTRONIC PRNDL ERROR, BACKUP CAMERA IN D - BUILT 3/13/2009-6/30/2010

10-20-8

* TIP-IN DELAYED SHIFT AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 15-20 MPH (24-32 KM/H)

10-9-9

* 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - DTC P0751 - HARSH OR NO FORWARD ENGAGEMENTS - PERCEIVED SLIP ON ACCELERATION - SLIP/DELAYED AND/OR HARSH DOWNSHIFTS

10-6-4

* 6F55 TRANSMISSION WITH ECO BOOST (GTDI)- BUMP 3-1 COASTING DOWNSHIFT BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H) BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/1/2010

There were a lot of them specific to 2010 MY and also specific to build date as Ford makes changes on the line at any time as identified as being needed for satisfaction. Of course, making changes like this, being date specific, are hard to track and ensure applicability to your car. You MUST have a good knowledgeable dealer for these TSB's.

The first dealer I went to, the largest on the east coast, was a bear to work with and flat out told me the would NOT apply these TSB's because they couldn't replicate them. Of course, due to the nature of the repairs, replication is almost impossible. I had to get Ford involved and they advised me to go to another dealer. At the next dealer, the service manager owned a early build '10 SHO, so, he knew EXACTLY, what needed to be done to 'make the car right'. After that initial hassle during the first 3 months of ownership, that dealer fixed these issues and I've only had to return for oil changes/tire rotations for the past 2 years.

I can't say enough about how important these TSB's (and others) are.

Mark

That sounds exactly like my situation. But' date=' it has happened so infrequently, that I haven't actually done anything about it. Figuring it would get worse if it was a serious problem.[/quote']

So I have been reading a lot on the forum again and I came accross the thread regarding the Knock Sensor Wires. I decided that I should check mine out. Mine looked like they might be chaffed, but it was at night in the dark and I just wanted to get some tape on there to see if it would make a difference.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?312-Wow!-Car-woke-up!

So I got in there (removed the 2 hose clamps on Flexible Air Intake tubing for easy access) and put some tape around the wires as described in that thread. I pulled the Positive battery cable off the battery and let it sit for 30 Minutes. Then connected everything and hopped in.

The car idled a bit rough right away (Id assume the computer was relearing the A/F mix), reversed out of the driveway and warmed the car up for 2 miles. The shuddering was gone under light acceleration, and there was a TON more power. I still have an appt Monday at the dealership for them to check it out, and I will have them replace the Knock sensor wiring if at all possible.

TSS - Not sure if you have dont this, but it is worth a shot. My car is like a night and day difference! I had a buddy ride with me right before doing this, to see if he could feel the shuddering, and i had him hop in with me after and he was amazed at the difference. I was just happy that it wasnt all in my head!

So I have been reading a lot on the forum again and I came accross the thread regarding the Knock Sensor Wires. I decided that I should check mine out. Mine looked like they might be chaffed, but it was at night in the dark and I just wanted to get some tape on there to see if it would make a difference.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?312-Wow!-Car-woke-up!

So I got in there (removed the 2 hose clamps on Flexible Air Intake tubing for easy access) and put some tape around the wires as described in that thread. I pulled the Positive battery cable off the battery and let it sit for 30 Minutes. Then connected everything and hopped in.

The car idled a bit rough right away (Id assume the computer was relearing the A/F mix), reversed out of the driveway and warmed the car up for 2 miles. The shuddering was gone under light acceleration, and there was a TON more power. I still have an appt Monday at the dealership for them to check it out, and I will have them replace the Knock sensor wiring if at all possible.

TSS - Not sure if you have dont this, but it is worth a shot. My car is like a night and day difference! I had a buddy ride with me right before doing this, to see if he could feel the shuddering, and i had him hop in with me after and he was amazed at the difference. I was just happy that it wasnt all in my head!

I would be very interested in seeing if your car slows down over the next few days. Pulling the battery for that long erases the Knock tables I believe. When I first load the tune my car was a beast...it's still fast but it definitely slows down as the car learns (knock etc.). Would be curious if this was your result. Hopefully not though and it really was your knock wires!