Ecoboost Owner Forums

Snagged on install

gpfarrell

Im trying to load my Stage 4+ from the MyCal to my push button start MKS.

After pushing and holding the start button long enough for the gauges to sweep, I get this error:

"Could not initialize communications with vehicle (1). Check connections and try again"

So I've done that, but keep getting snagged in the same place.

I think my connections are good... It's pulling the cars VIN number and earlier I was doing 0-60 runs and it seemed to be communicating just fine.

Any ideas? I'm dying to try this thing!

Greg

Two things I learned to look for.

If you got two cables the one you need is the one with the molded blocky lump built into it. I got that wrong the first time.

You must hold the start button in (without stepping on the brake) for several seconds before releasing it. That makes a really big difference and is absolutely mandatory.

If you are doing both of those things and its still not working, I don't know what else to advise but call Rick.

Good luck

Early today, I needed 5.44 based on an average of 4 runs, 2 each in opposite directions.

Now I need 4.73 figured the same way.

Oh, and the 5.44 was on on fumes and the 4.73 had a full tank of 93... probably 100 lbs of fuel!

If I can do this... with this Forum's help... anybody can!

Early today, I needed 5.44 based on an average of 4 runs, 2 each in opposite directions.

Now I need 4.73 figured the same way.

Oh, and the 5.44 was on on fumes and the 4.73 had a full tank of 93... probably 100 lbs of fuel!

If I can do this... with this Forum's help... anybody can!

I'm assuming your numbers are referring to a 0 to 60 test. If so they are really useful to me. I'm going through a test and evaluate period now where I'm going back to stock to figure out why my car is not performing as expected. For convenience my yardstick comparison test is my 0 to 60 times. The best time I've gotten with 1/4 tank and torque loading the tranny is 5.4 and that's running LMS 4+. So I figure it's easier to find what's holding me back while stock. I don't have a stock 0 to 60 yet so thank you for sharing yours.

Larrylu, yes those are 0-60 times... My private test track doesn't have enough room for 100 mph 1/4 mile blasts!

If your "track" is slightly uphill, your times will be slower. I ran both ways on mine to compensate for Pennsylvania. Also, if the car creeps a few inches while you are holding it with the brake, the clock starts and your times will quickly be a few tenths longer.

Tuned, my brakes have a hard time keeping the car dead stopped. Stock, it would old still until you let off the brake.

Good luck, and thanks again for the help.

I wish I had a private test track. I don't think the grade was an issue but your suggestion to check the creeping might be. Think I did creep just a tiny bit before launch. I remember hearing the brakes groan a bit. I will retest before detuning. Thanks for a very good suggestion.

Glad you got it loaded, gpfarrell! We needed another tuned MKS on this forum. I presume you are pleased with the results of the tune. For what it is worth, I thought mine improved after 150 miles or so - especially transmission operation. It became smoother while still being firm.

For what it's worth, I hit a snag the first time I tried to load my tune. I frantically PM'ed Mark and before he had a chance to answer, I tried it again and it worked fine.