Ecoboost Owner Forums

My Stealth install 2 10's

It's been a while since I have posted, I wanted to share a recent success with my latest mod. So I wanted to add some bottom end to my system. The factory mids and highs are pretty good for stock, however the base leaves something to be desired. I looked at the JL stealth 13' but the cost of the enclose and sub are pretty high (upwards of $1200 plus a decent amp). I began with getting equipment, 2 10" JL WS6's and a Focal FP 1.800 LE amplifier. I slapped together a box and mounted the amp. It sounded great! I was impressed, it really complemented the stock system. However now I had taken up a chunk of my trunk and for it to sound good the box needed to be at the back of the trunk facing the trunk lid. So more research, my first thought was to build 2 fiberglass enclosures mounted to each side of the trunk, to minimize the amount of space taken up. After building the backing molds the challenge was mounting. I could find a way to safely mount the enclosures without a lot of drilling. So I scrapped it. I really liked the idea of the stealth enclosure, and as mine did not come with a spare tire I had to be able to do something in the tire well. After considerable drawing and tinkering in the well I came up with a design. The 2 10's and the amp would fit under the floor in the trunk, the only catch was I needed to raise the floor 3 inches to accommodate the minimum volume for the 10's. This to me wasn't a big deal as the JL stealth box had the same impact on the trunk. The 10's fire downward into the well and as such the well makes a decent loading surface for the base to reflect off of. Just one thing if any of you are interested in doing something like this you need to secure the enclosure. If you don't the it will sound really weird. Also sound deadening is a must cover as much as possible. After all is said and done, I couldn't be happier. I built the whole system for about $1000.00 and I prefer the sound of 10's over 12's or larger subs anyway. Sorry for the quality of the pics (taken with my iphone)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2219[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2225[/ATTACH]

post-912-142532296413_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296417_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296421_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296424_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296428_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296413_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296417_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296421_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296424_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532296428_thumb.jpg

Very impressive :hail:

My biggest fear in doing a box like that was all the room it would take up.

Not only that but I had a couple people mention something about doing fiberglass but I wanted the ability to remove the box when I'm tracking the car.

I'm dig'n your setup :thumb:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Does it tie in with the stock radio unit?

Yes I am using a Audiocontrol LC2i http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/645207/OEM-Integration/Two-Channel-Line-Out-Converter-with-AccuBASStm-and-Subwoofer-Control----LC2i.html

How much depth is available in the well...I'm planning something similar for when I get a sho. How tall is the box??

The overall height of the enclosure with the "legs" is 13.25" which brings the height to the second lip of the trunk.

Great being able to keep OEM look! :yo: Got any sound clips to share?

Sorry I really don't have anything that can record audio is decent quality. I will try.

Thanks bdb1151!

Here is a better pic I took with my DSLR.

I have uploaded a vid to YouTube. It doesn't do it justice as the mic on my DSLR really isn't designed to pick up the mash of frequencies. I had a really hard time with the audio clipping on the input of the camera. But you get the idea of the base response. You probably already know this but you are not going to hear much unless you have a decent sub hooked up to your computer :RpS_tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvrQhF-DNA[ATTACH=CONFIG]2222[/ATTACH]

post-912-14253229184_thumb.jpg

post-912-14253229184_thumb.jpg

The overall height of the enclosure with the "legs" is 13.25" which brings the height to the second lip of the trunk.

Wow! A lot more than I thought. I was shopping for shallow subs but I think I'll be able to get a regular 12" flush mounted with the floor. Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...