Ecoboost Owner Forums

General Insurance Question

JoeB

My insurance company (Statefarm) is starting to really frustrate me. I don't have a whole lot of time or exact numbers at the moment for details but I just wanted to get a basic idea of if I have a right to be upset about the issue. I pay every 6 months if it matters.

Basic steps: 1) Get quote before purchasing car, happy with price, makes the purchase easier. 2) Get 1st bill for about 80% (rough estimate) more than quoted price. Give them a call & they get it dropped to like 10% over the quote. 3) Get 2nd bill & it's a good 40% more than the original quote this time. I call them & they say there's nothing they can do & that it is going to remain at that price.

Obviously I'm not stuck with them and can go find a different price somewhere else, but just the principle of them charging me 40% more than the quoted rate is really bugging me. Is this super unethical or is this just a normal thing with insurance companies? Also before anyone asks, my information has not changed whatsoever. No tickets & only 1 small wreck (Oct. 2010) on my record. They're blaming it on the underwriting process.

Sounds like you need a new agent...I would shop around, I had a Lincoln Mark LT before the SHO and my insurance was only about 3 dollars different for the SHO. If I remember correctly, it actually dropped. My father-in-law always said you should shop insurance about ever 3 years, because once they have you they will slowly raise the rates, hoping you don't notice the increasing price. We have had Erie Insurance for years because no one can get close to touching their rates.

My prices have always been going down over the last 5 years with progressive. Not a lot, but for everything it used to be like 240-250 a month, I'm down to $170 now. Not that it matters but I know my bike just went up $10 a year with them because I bump my aftermarket reinbursment up to $15,000 instead of the 5,000 I had before.

wow. thank god i am old (41), married and have a clean record.

we are set up with AAA.....state farm was about $5 more, $500 deductable. $250k comprehensive and $500k medical. no tickets, no accidents period

My wife is the "primary" driver for the SHO and we pay $56 a month, I am the primary on her 2007 mazda cx7 @ $40 a month.

So we pay monthly $96 a month for both cars.

wow. thank god i am old (41), married and have a clean record.

So we pay monthly $96 a month for both cars.

Yeah, that's what I thought until my son got his license at 16....what a shock, to have him added to our policy and listed as a driver (not primary) on our 98 Taurus wagon (which we didn't carry collision since it had 228K miles), our insurance increase $1995.00 a year!!! It was more then just my wife and I paid for 4 vehicles total for the year. But lucky he has an almost clean (1 small accident) record so it has come down every year and he is now 22, so we can almost stand the bill again! LOL

Ahh, but no worry, since the insurance is going down, he is in college, and those bills more then cover any insurance savings...and now he is talking about getting his Master's!!!